Overhauling my sump

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So I've decided that my sump needs an overhaul. I get a lot of detritus build up in the last section and it's very hard to reach with the manifold and the skimmer blocking access. I've already rebuilt the manifold and this is what I've got.
Water will come in on the top left. I added a couple of extra outputs for expansion. The large valve on the left is for water changes. The elbow on the right is for the chiller which sits in back of the sump.

I was planning on building an acrylic box to add to the center of the sump for sand, chaeto, and my mangroves. I haven't gotten that far though.

I was also thinking about running my PM Bullet 3 skimmer externally but can't figure out how to get the water back into the sump without having the skimmer above the waterline in the sump.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'll post some pics of the current setup later when I head to school.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
No thoughts? How about how to run the skimmer externally?

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would think you just need the output higher, or possibly just above the water line if you put a bulkhead through the sump wall.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
FishTV;316931 said:
I would think you just need the output higher, or possibly just above the water line if you put a bulkhead through the sump wall.
That's what I was thinking but does it matter if I ran the plumbing up from the outlet. Should work so long as it's below the water level of the skimmer right?

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you raise the output (head) I would think it will affect your bubble column as if you were restricting your output valve. the skimmer output is usually more of a overflow design (not pressure) that is restricted by a valve. Probably cant raise it much before it chokes out.