Paint inside of aquarium?

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
I have a bunch of 75g tanks that came from the Denver aquarium. The are divided 3 ways with clear glass and were supposed to used as hospital tanks but were never used and were auctioned off.

I want to breed three pairs of clowns I have in them and need to figure out how to black out the glass dividers.

Any ideas?

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Yep acrylic piece with small water proof magnets holding to each panel would be my thought too

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
Krylon is reef safe when dry but was looking for ideas. I like the idea of black acrylic and magnets but trying to keep cost down as I have 8 tanks with 2 dividers per tank

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Or you could silicone little glass rectangular rods on either side of a black acrylic sheet to hold it on place!

Or maybe you can use vinyl that may or may not be safe??

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Why do you want to black out the glass divider anyway? Worst case scenario, they will try to attack each other through the glass, which is hilarious

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;319671 said:
Why do you want to black out the glass divider anyway? Worst case scenario, they will try to attack each other through the glass, which is hilarious
Sounds like a good way to keep your fish stressed.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
zombie;319671 said:
If you are trying to breed them then you want to keep them as stress free as possible, hence the dark dividers, so they cant see each other

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Pefect idea!!! I personally wouldnt use a glass etching agent (wouldnt think was reef safe) but sanding the glass to a frosted look I would say is def a viable option.

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
Window tint, indoor outdoor carpet, torch the glass??

I know some of the wholesalers line anenome tanks so that they are easily removed. Not sure on the adhesive though.

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
Silicone and rubber floor mat actually sounds cheap and easy to cut and do. Yeah I want as stress free as possible and I thought about glass etching but again not so sure how much of the acid stays and how long it would leach out. Sanding sounds like a viable option as well but more effort that the black rubber mat. I can handle the phosphates as I will have an atf in the massive 150g live rock sump.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Vinyl is reef safe. Just get the window privacy film they sell at lowes that is non adhesive....the sell adhesive separately in a spray bottle. Skip the spray adhesive and attach it along the edges with super glue and it's a done deal. I used this waaay back in college when I kept a breeding pair of bettas in a divided tank.