Painting your tank's trim 101: A how to for those without the know how.

I'm in the process of building my 90 gal tank, and needed to paint the tank's trim. If you have a tank that has that hideous wood grain trim (circa 1983), you know how visually assaulting that can be. Rather than ditch the otherwise well constructed tank I opted to paint over the wood grain trim. I began the process by wiping down the trim with some apple vinegar, and an old April Wine band T-shirt from my youth. With respect to the vinegar selection, there are several types to choose from: Sherry, Balsamic, Malt, etc. (Here is a website for your further edification on the world of vinegar's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinegar) I personally have found the Apple Cider vinegar to be the most readily available and has the widest breath of utility of all the vinegar varieties. I use the Apple Cider Vinegar as well for making my Eggs Benedict, and have a delightful recipe for hollandaise sauce if you are interested. After gathering this mornings Denver Post, I began to mask of the tanks trim with some of that painter's blue tape. It should be noted that while I am of the ilk that works smarter not harder, so I opted to leave it in the confined office space of my residence of where it will be placed.

I went to Lowes where I had to make the choice paints to use for this project. As a word of advise, I would strongly discourage "rolling" for this type of application. I would suggest spray painting, or as those of us in Aurora like to call it, "Rattle Can". I selected the smart and always sophisticated BLACK. However if you are one that likes to make more of a flamboyant statement they have some colors that I think would be to your liking. (Again here is a website to help you prepare for your trip to the hardware store. http://www.valsparpaint.com/en/find-the-right-product/interior/premium-enamel-spray-paint.html) I will admit I was taken by the Gloss Hacienda Tile, but I felt that may detract from any future corals that I populate my tank with.

Once returning home I began to shake the can vigorously, and moved the can in short sweeping bursts, to cover the seizure inducing visual stimuli. After getting a little dazed by the fumes, I elected to open a window. I have to admit, for a few minutes I thought about how nice it would be to move to Boulder and have some wind chimes on the back porch. However, as my state of delirium lifted, I was comforted by the sounds of police sirens in the distance. As the can of spray paint states, one should wait a day before touching the painted surface, but I feel that is more of a suggestion than anything else.

I know you are all eager to see the tank once it is completely finished, DON"T WORRY I WILL DO A TANK BUILD THREAD. However, for now, you will have to be warmed by the thoughts of a sense of accomplishment and pride. . . . . and this picture.

View attachment 12633

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Black is so boring. Whaddaya think this is, New York City? Come on... go bold! Why not Santorini Blue? Or Irish Green? Even a black with a hammer finish would look better than boring flat black.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Painting your tank's trim 101: A how to for those without the know how.

You seriously ruined a ****ing April Wine shirt? WTF!

Sent from my C771

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Painting your tank's trim 101: A how to for those without the know how.

Smiley;234736 said:
You seriously ruined a ****ing April Wine shirt? WTF!

Sent from my C771
Roflmao. April who?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

2sweet

Butterfly Fish
Great sense of humor......thanks for the chuckle

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I laughed, cried, jumped up and down and almost vomited with joy in reading and until I saw the picture. Rattle cans and no tagging the tank, just wood accents, how boring.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you were serious about wind chimes, there are great deals to be had. I went to the Dollar store to get 7 for my porch, but they had a BOGO promo, so I got 14. A nice chinese gong on the clearance rack. porch lemonade sipping will be amazing when the spring weather comes.