Peppermint Shrimp

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I ordered a bunch of these to finish off my aiptasia problem and ended up with the black tailed "Lysmata rathbunae"(thanks to jon's ID in this thread for amonchak http://www.marinecolorado.org/forum...p-with-black-tail&highlight=peppermint+shrimp). Hit the big aiptasia's with kalk and two days later, there were no signs of aiptasia and still isn"t. I got 18 total, 3 in the cube, 3 in the tray and 12 into the display( the only one with aiptasia).

Monday I notice one picking at an Acan Lord colony right after I fed. Figured it was probably just stealing food from the coral. This morning Lords are missing polyps(Gone!). Pulled all my Lords tonight until they can be removed. So far have not gone near my Bowerbanki, Hillae, Favia, Chalice, SPS or Zoa's. If anything gets picked on I can yank it till they are gone. One of the three in my frag tray went over to the new lord area within minutes of transfer. My rose coral (LPS) is gone. The shrimp are yanked and in a safe place. I am sure these are not camel shrimp. I have never seen peppermints act like this before. I also suspect they may have done in a few ricordea.

I have been checking on the tank ever since I remover the Lords and they are much happier. I should have just got another copperband butterfly.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
IME any animal that will eat an aiptasia will also eat acan lords, and usually lords first since we make them so temping with meaty foods.
I have lost a few thousand dollars in lords to aiptasia control.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just read this on another site, they all acted like of was common knowledge that peppermints eat lords. Not just trying to steal food either. The remedy would be to keep the shrimp fed better or pull them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
My trap is going in the tank until the shrimp are gone. The question is what do I do with 18 of them. I am thinking of chopping them up and feeding them to the lords to get their health back. It did strike me as odd it was only the Lords. I may leave the shrimp in for a month or two if the act like good citizens with the coral pulled.

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well that sucks...... so much for that option, huh?

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Actually, So far they have been good, since removing the Lords. They stayed in the rock all day and didn't eat anything. Lords in the tray all puffed up and looked good. I dipped them during transfer and spot fed them.

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, there was skeleton showing on my Acan Hillae this morning so it came out and went in with the lords. I am definitely throwing these in the blender for acan food when I catch them all. Unless someone with no LPS wants them.

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'll take a few, just softies and sps in my tank. :)

I think they are considered hit and miss. I have 1 in my mixed tank that doesn't give me problems, but it's a large dirty tank, so I think he has lots of options. Sad to see you blender 10$ a piece shrimp though. Maybe post in the DBTC section before you do that. Make them offer you a bag of table shrimp first as an offering to your acans!

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yaten13;85083 said:
I think they are considered hit and miss.

Sad to see you blender 10$ a piece shrimp though.
It isn't all of them, just a couple big ones, but no use in risking it. I will get a CBB if the aiptasia come back.

I don't pay that much. It's all about who you know in this hobby. I may not blend them either. with all the damage they did, I may cut them up by hand and use a pair of tweezers to feed them live....Well that may be a little much.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
i want a small CBB too and i don't want to pay much ...lol....i know you does that count?

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
dv3;85125 said:
haven't heard anything good about those zappers
rockys_pride;85126 said:
like i haven't heard anyone tell my that they really liked it ...lol
exactly the opposite actually

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Elite reef sells them. I think they use it on service accounts and love it. However make sure you suck out the aptasia after zapping it or you are just adding to the problem!

the red sea rep at reefstock gave me a bottle of aiptasia-x - I love it! Definitely a winner! you administer with a non-poky sirenge - the stuff that they mixed with it is an aiptasia attractor, so they don't shrink back if you go slow. then you slowly give 'em some of the magnesium based stuff, and voila! gone! never had to do a second dose with any of the 6 - 9 that I zapped. no water side effects (at least that I could tell).

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
saltySamurai;85159 said:
the red sea rep at reefstock gave me a bottle of aiptasia-x - I love it! Definitely a winner! you administer with a non-poky sirenge - the stuff that they mixed with it is an aiptasia attractor, so they don't shrink back if you go slow. then you slowly give 'em some of the magnesium based stuff, and voila! gone! never had to do a second dose with any of the 6 - 9 that I zapped. no water side effects (at least that I could tell).
+1