Ph question

Sour137

Cleaner Shrimp
So my 75g has a turnover of about 2 times an hour. I have a slight surface scum of white specs, decomposing food, and algae. Im going to be replacing my low flow pump with one which should push about 10 times the system volume an hour. Im expecting and hoping that this increased flow rate will remove the surface skum, and push phosphates to the refugium where I grow chaeto. Currently my PH sits at a steady 7.9. Is it safe to expect that with a higher turnover, and potential removal of the surface scum, greater surface agitation, etc, can I expect a higher PH and a better export of phosphates in the tank over what I'm currently getting with my 2x turnover?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
other then the return pump what flow do you have in it? Sounds more like you need greater surface agitation from a flow pump, not necessarily more turnover from the return. Dont relay on your return for all your flow. The return pump is only to feed the equipment in the sump, low flow is generally okay for this purpose, but you need pumps pushing and agitating the surface in the tank, which will export the scum to the sump better and ensure better gas exchange, which may increase ph

Sour137

Cleaner Shrimp
I have three tunze powerheads rated at roughly 750 gph off the top of my head. I have two pointed behind the rocks facing each other, and the third, plus the return jet pointing towards the front of the tank agitating the surface. There seem to be scum eddies I cant get rid of no matter what direction I have the powerheads pointed.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
PH is nearly solely a byproduct of the ambient CO2 in the air in your home. This will not likely help.

Don't worry about PH. Seriously - you can do more damage chasing it. Keep the alk steady and just forget that PH exists.

quackenbush

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;671701 said:
PH is nearly solely a byproduct of the ambient CO2 in the air in your home..
My experience with kalk dosing suggests otherwise, but that might be the exception. I would totally agree with your main point - don't worry about PH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More dissolved o2 in the water should boost pH. Lots of powerheads are not going to do anything if you don't have surface disruption/agitation. Need to increase surface contact between water and o2 molecules.

Got a window nearby? I once ran a 10 foot air line to an outside window that was quite drafty. Lots of outside air coming through that sucker!! I just taped the line to the wall and let it pull air from near the window. Nobody could see the line because it was behind the couch. The other end of that air line was connected to my skimmer. It did help, but only about 0.2--0.3 on the pH scale. You could set an air pump near a drafty window or other source of outside air. Run a line and an airstone to the skimmer section of your sump. The sump baffles will take care of any bubbles.

Agree on keeping your alk in check. I used to use a SeaChem product. I can't remember if it was Reef Buffer or Reef Builder. I think it was the Builder.

Arh--- I hate not being able to edit posts. I forgot to add this in my last post.

Do you have a refugium on a reverse light cycle? Some type of photosynthesis 24/7 will help with pH as well. Macroalgea produce o2 when the lights are on. If you have a refugium full of macroalgae and run it on a reverse lighting cycle, it should help your pH because your o2 levels will be more constant. The pH levels can swing up and down if all is dark at the same time.

Sour137

Cleaner Shrimp
Rcpilot I keep my refugium light on 24/7 I have read reverse light or 24/7 but I haven't seen much consensus on it. I also turned the powerheads more upwards and I get a lot more surface agitation. Last week after I got the new test kits I noticed the PH jump up to 8.2, but before doing the water change today I tested again and it was back to 7.9 I might try the airline from outside. That seems like a great idea.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Fuge light should be 18hr on, 6 hr off, in most cases. You only really do the full 24/7 time to try and keep caulerpa macros from going sexual, which can cause other issues. Cheato and other macros need a bit of dark time, so that they can expend some of the energy they absorbed during the 18hrs. Without that down time, they dont process the nutrients as well, so they dont grow as well

I use reverse lighting for my fuge as well. It overlaps for only about an hour and a half and seems, with consistently keeping Alk Mag in check takes care of itself. I do have my windows and or fan going as much as possible as well to throw more oxygen it's was and help eliminate some of the inevitable CO2 buildup we all get in closed up homes. Good luck

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Sounds overly simple but... Can you lower the water level in your overflow? Let the water drop off a little so the surface of the tank water gets pulled into the sump. Then, get enough flow within the tank. 2 times turnover per hour from the sump to display tank is probably ok. Keeping the all in check will take care of the rest. Good skimmer helps as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is the 2x turnover based on pump performance after head loss or are you using a 150gph pump?

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.