Phoenix DE in LuminArc 3

goslugsgo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Can I retrofit a LuminArc 3 with a DE socket and achieve proper spread? The tank footprint is 36" X 24".
I would like to run the Phoenix bulb with my present reflector, while adding an M80 to drive it.

I do have a 250w E-ballast. Can I go with a Radium with that and avoid the retrofit, or do those prefer the M80 as well?

Help me out jda123. Tell me what to do!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you retrofit, you will have to get the DE bulb as far away from the top of the reflector as the SE bulb would be - otherwise it will not spread right.

You might be a bit weak on the edges at the bottom with either bulb. You would still have this issue with most other setups... like maybe the last 3 inches on the edge might only have 100-150 par, or so... so big deal.

If you do go Radium, then M80 is the better ballast for it too.

Radium on M80 and Phoenix 14K on M80 are equals in crispness, color and output IMO, so I don't think that you can go wrong with either. The radium will be softer and bluer on electronic.

goslugsgo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the input. The tank is only 15-16" to the sand bed, so I'm not too concerned about the loss of PAR on the bottom.
Speaking of which, is that too shallow for these 250W setups? Should I stick with 175W?