Picky Tang

So I have a Tomini/Bristletooth/Flame Fin Tang. He is a picky eater. I tried to get him to eat "sea vegies" (nori) and he won't touch it. He will eat Mysis when I feed the Copperband. He will eat the New Era Grazer discs but not if they are on the glass with the suction cup thingy. I have to drop them on the bottom in the back corner. Then he will drag them into the caves to pick at them. He loves to graze for algae in the tank, but I really don't have much of it. Anyone have suggestions of getting him to eat the veggies? Should I not worry about it if he is eating other stuff....

sethsolomon;282901 said:
I would just feed him Mysis. He can graze algae in the tank in his free time.
He's not skinny... I guess it just seems like a waste to have a $10 bag of seaweed he won't eat lol

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yah I have a baby tomini and a mata tang and they will ignore the nori and go for pellets, mysis, krill, or just graze on algae in the tank.

I just wish my Tomini was social like my Copperband. He's always hiding in the caves...

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
New life spectrum pellets. Not all tangs will eat nori, and some that you don't expect will... my reef safe triggers ate more nori than any other fish that I had.

kyuubichan218

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 on nls pellets. If he doesn't go for them, try soaking in garlic first. Mixing them in with the mysis and soaking the whole lot in garlic might help get him used to them.

Sent from my ADR6330VW using Tapatalk 2

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;282939 said:
New life spectrum pellets. Not all tangs will eat nori, and some that you don't expect will... my reef safe triggers ate more nori than any other fish that I had.

+1 This is what at least 65% of the club feeds.

Nmertz1;282999 said:
My tomini doesn't eat either!!
Ok so its not just me... lol

He loves hair algae

Djmm1177;283006 said:
I use new era rings and my tangs go crazy!
I wish mine did

Sent from my Note 3

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
We have a new product from Southern Delight that our tangs love. If you want I could get you a little to try it before you buy some. These are medium pellets that you can soak with some garlic and then feed. Let me know if you want to give it a try.

V
GWA

fishguy69;283084 said:
We have a new product from Southern Delight that our tangs love. If you want I could get you a little to try it before you buy some. These are medium pellets that you can soak with some garlic and then feed. Let me know if you want to give it a try.

V
GWA
I may stop in and give that a whirl. I just want to make sure he gets the greens he needs.

Sent from my Note 3

I also don't have much for algae growth as I have a young tank and good nutrient control

Sent from my Note 3

fonduecat

Cleaner Shrimp
My tang could have cared less about the nori I put in my tank. Fast forward a few days later, and the pig was devouring it. It seemed to take a while for mine to want any. Maybe it just needs more time?