Pictures of wild anemones

mbjnt

Turbo Snail
Some really cool wild anemones that I saw this summer when practicing snorkeling and using my gopro. Water was not that clear at that time. But these anemones were easy 3+ feet across, so some huge ones. This was at Ocho Rios Jamaica. Seeing them in the wild was so much fun. Though I got pictures of many other coral and some fish, the anemones stick the most out in my mind just by the huge size.

mbjnt;n663354 said:
Some really cool wild anemones that I saw this summer when practicing snorkeling and using my gopro. Water was not that clear at that time. But these anemones were easy 3+ feet across, so some huge ones. This was at Ocho Rios Jamaica. Seeing them in the wild was so much fun. Though I got pictures of many other coral and some fish, the anemones stick the most out in my mind just by the huge size.
Hi Mbjnt,
Very cool pictures, I think you had amazing holidays in Jamaica ;)
What fish did you see?

Zhenya

Octopi

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's awesome! Thanks for sharing the photos. I am hoping to go snorkeling in Hawaii this summer. Would you recommend the GoPro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Octopi;666169 said:
That's awesome! Thanks for sharing the photos. I am hoping to go snorkeling in Hawaii this summer. Would you recommend the GoPro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would but it takes some practice even if you have one with an LCD. We used ours a ton snorkeling in Hawaii last summer and got some good videos and some not so good!

mbjnt

Turbo Snail
I used a GoPro to take the pictures, with the one that has LCD. Under water, I did not user the LCD much, you can set quick buttons. And most of the pictures, I extracted from video. The one thing I wished I had was filters to make it more clear. I knew I was only going snorkel since I can't get medical clearance for suba ( I soo wish, but to many ear issues no sane Dr would sign off ). But much of the water was so clear, I still really needed the filters for the deeper depths. The anemones where in shallow water though, it was not for the rough water they would been amazing pictures even without filters. But hey, it's nature and you can't out guess it most of the time. I half expected "Oh I'm a good swimmer, I will be able get stable videos my first time" and half expected disaster. The video came in somewhere between. I practiced a lot off the beach before doing the trips, (these guys where off the beach). Which I was glad, otherwise the video would been horrible. I swear, my first half dozen attempts ended up being shots of my "swimming trunks" area more than actual stuff since trying get use to waves+snorkeling+camera. Which being in Jamaica and "type" of beach, most of them I had to delete after sharing with wife and her laughing at me. Largest thing I learned, if your first time doing it with a camera, just have fun. Most the video will be horrible, but you can at least get great pictures extracted from the video. But it's fun trying and gives you just enough hope to keep trying and excited for next time to try more.

MBX5

Turbo Snail
Take a look ate the Backscatter Flip filters. Even on shallow dive/snorkels it makes the gopro so much better ;) Took these a few weeks ago in West Palm all in about 8'-10' of water with the shallow red filter. You'll be amazed what it can do to keep colors closer to what you see with your own eyes

mbjnt

Turbo Snail
Bugaga, those are cool little guys. Going out to Cali around San Fran this summer also, I am excited to explore the beaches there. Though water is a little bit cooler than in Ocho Rios, Jamaica, and not owning a wet-suit, not thinking going snorkeling. Maybe... lol. I've swam in glacier lakes and slept in snow (polar bear club in scouts and just crazy I guess). lol. Will see what I find out in Cali. lol. Jamaica will be fun again though.

goslugsgo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can definitely snorkel bareback in the summer. Not a lot of protected coves up there as far as I know, so be careful. The cool kids go to Santa Cruz.

mbjnt

Turbo Snail
Yeah.. .bad stormy weather when out to Cali, so no snorkeling this time :( But we did get to go to California Academy of Science which the Steinhart Aquarium is amazing.