Pink Birdsnest Turning Green

So I recently received a Pink Birdsnest on DBTC and I thought I had it in a spot that it appreciated, but when I got home tonight it has some neon green on it. Is this something to worry about?
Water params-
calc- 450
Alk- 10.2
Mag- 1480
Nitrate- .25
Nitrite- 0
Ammonia- 0

The only other SPS in the tank is a Green Birdsnest. It is the same green it always is.
Thanks for the help!

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
what lights are ya running? i think it is fine as long as its not browning, rtn'ing, or bleaching.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Pink Birdsnest Turning Green

Its because of light Spectrum change. What lights do you have it under and what did it come from? Who did it come from? Is it at the same depth in your tank as it was in the tank it came from?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

If it is a piece that originally came from my colony then its a multicolor birdsnest and not just pink.

I am running AI Sol Blues with my whites at 70%, It is about 25" from the light on it's side. It came from a nano tank under a radion. It was a DBTC from Kalgra. It has been in this spot for at least 2 weeks now, but I would say it was about 20" away from the lights in his tank.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

I think your coral fine, the change in spectrum can make colors in corals change.

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Change where it's located IE: lower or higher in the tank. Different light spec and intensities can cause color change. The pink birdsnest I used to have liked a lot of light. If you have good PE then I would play around with location, however if it seems unhappy or stressed may be best to let it acclimate a few more days before playing. I see slot of color changes with chalices. I have frags from the same colony that look completely different from one side of the tank to the other

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

I'm running an experiment right now with some of martins pieces. I have one really low in my 40, and another right up top sideways. The lower has much more green color to it than the higher.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
bush8984;226530 said:
Interested to see what happens. My stuff always turns green in my tanks. Never knew why. Anyone know if the original color will return?
I did a little extra research and found this.
http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/6717-sps-turning-green/
They are saying that high mag or iron can do this too. My mag is pretty high IMO so it's possible. When I moved it down in the tank I also moved it acrossed the tank so the light spectrum idea might be it too. Hard to tell since my only other sps is supposed to be green. It seems happy where it is, I moved it down because of a little bleaching when I had it half way up the tank so I'm hesitant to raise it again.

I would love to hear about what happens in the experiment you guys are doing so keep me updated.

HondaHound

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
My pink birdsnest did the same thing, all my other sps' have stayed the same color. I just assumed it was just an identification mix up. Guess it's time to experiment