Pipefish?

blkwell

Cleaner Shrimp
Just looking for a little advice about keeping pipefish. Are the Janss and banded more suited for reef than the dragonface?

93 gallon cube
Pair of clowns
Fairy wrasse
Foxface
Tomini tang
Emerald crab
Pair of sexy shrimp
Blood red cleaner shrimp
Two anemones
Assorted LPS and soft corals

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
From what I hear, Dragonface is more reef safe.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dragonface pipefish are the only ones that work well in reefs. the others will starve with the fish you have. Think of them as a hybrid between a mandarin and a seahorse.

blkwell

Cleaner Shrimp
I forgot to mention my mandarin. I do have a red mandarin who is a very happy dude. I guess I was misinformed. I thought the Janss and banded were better because they are stronger swimmers.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
you might be able to get away with the other pipefish but its all about your pod levels. Its worth a shot. I can give them a home if you decide to try them and it does not work out.

blkwell

Cleaner Shrimp
I think my pod population is good. The tank is over a year old and I add pods to the tank and fuge frequently.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dragon face from Gonzo. I had some and they were awesome. If you're dosing pods then you should be fine. Watch them closely though, make sure they are active and getting plenty of food.

I really like the blue stripped pipes!hearty and good eaters!

reefkoi

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I've had the best long term success with the dragon pipes and limited success with the blue stripe and 0 with the banded. I've got a couple dragons still from a shipment like 2 years ago.

blkwell

Cleaner Shrimp
reefkoi;328977 said:
I've had the best long term success with the dragon pipes and limited success with the blue stripe and 0 with the banded. I've got a couple dragons still from a shipment like 2 years ago.
Sounds like the dragons are hardiest. Although I like the looks of the blue stripe better. Are they safe with corals and anemones or do you risk them getting stung?

crisc

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
We have some dragonface pipes in stock if you decide to go that way. In my opinion, really the only pipe fish suitable in mixed reefs. (Sounds like a sales pitch but true)

blkwell

Cleaner Shrimp
crisc;329040 said:
We have some dragonface pipes in stock if you decide to go that way. In my opinion, really the only pipe fish suitable in mixed reefs. (Sounds like a sales pitch but true)
ok. Thank you. Are there different varieties of the dragon face? From what I have seen it looks like some have a little more color than others.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
blkwell;329055 said:
ok. Thank you. Are there different varieties of the dragon face? From what I have seen it looks like some have a little more color than others.
Where they come from, and their diet has a majority on what color they are. They can get red if you can get them to eat krill bits.

Dragon Face Pipefish are definitely one of the hardier Pipefish. A little harder to find but I've also had very good success with Caribbean Pipefish too. I've had Caribbean Pipefish breed in my tanks and I've successfully raised the young. I always fed live brine shrimp to my Pipefish twice a day for my success. I've also found that many will also learn to eat frozen brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and krill. Keep in mind that they are very closely related to Sea Horses and need frequent feeding (I like TWICE a day) unless you have HUGE amounts of "pods" in you tank!

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pisces II;329110 said:
I think that the pipefish are great but really fragile.
They need to be viewed with the thought of mandarins and in some cases an even more careful attitude. These guys mainly eat pods or as CC stated, live brine or a live food. Hardiest in my opinion is the Dragon, the other pipes can have lots of color, but with reefs with a higher amount of flow make it not very ideal for those "water column pipefish" species.