Pipefish

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
They are reef safe. Ambrosia Aquatics has them often. He's a sponsor. Not sure about them eating aptasia. I'm getting one to control my hoard of pods.

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I can't imagine that they would eat aptasia. They are really small and seem to root around looknig for pods.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Aiptasia eating filefish...though I've heard they also pick at lps.

If you don't have wrasses, maybe try to find some berghia nudibranches? I was thinking about trying one...but I'm certain my yellow coris would make a quick meal out of one.

JNG

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Catfish Charlies seems to always have them for pretty good prices. Not far from Longmont.

SteveT

Butterfly Fish
It's pretty easy to distinguish the camel shrimp from a peppermint. Camel shrimp have much more vivid colors and a more angular body. Now knowing the difference between the species of peppermint shrimp that eat aptasia and the ones that don't is harder. I have heard that the species that will eat aptasia have black tails and the other type do not. however I have also heard that they are identical in every way other than their location that they live (are collected). Not sure which to believe.
Camel shrimp
[attachment=61861:name]
peppermint shrimp

Ambrosio Aquatics

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
anything that eats aiptasia might eat other coral as well, i have never heard of pipes eating it tho. peppermint shrimp, certain tile fish and copperbands are usually the safest bet but i have seen them all munch on other types of coral

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
a bag of it;175374 said:
I've had pretty bad luck with peppermints, right after they finished off the aiptasia, they went after my hammer coral. I like the idea of a copperband butterfly, what do they eat that makes them not reef safe?
Feather dusters for one thing I believe a couple more thing but can't remember

Ambrosio Aquatics

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
i have seen copperbands eat zoas, and lps but as with any animal you never know what they will do until they do it
(including humans i.e the face eating zombie guy in miami that only had weed in his system!!!!wtf)