1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

Planted tank LED lighting

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tanks' started by larryl, Feb 13, 2017.

1. larryl

larryl Copepod

Hi -

I'm running two 36" Current USA True Lumen Pro strips over a 36" wide planted tank (50 breeder). They are starting to fail so I need replacements soon, but I can't find the 8000K versions any more. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good replacement that would put out an equivalent amount of light? I've been looking at the different Finnex lights, but it's hard to tell how they would compare intensity-wise. I don't really need any fancy 24/7 programming, would just like something I can run off a timer, ideally with a way to adjust the color balance and intensity.

Thanks!
    Larry

2. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

I know we have a few reefers here that use the finnex lights for their planted tanks and they swear by them, @sethsoloman uses them I believe, perhaps he can give some insight into them

3. sethsolomon

sethsolomon Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

+1 Yah the Finnex Planted+ led fixtures are awesome! I use them on the refugiums for ym reefs and on my new QT system. They put out 90 par on the sandbed of a 20g long. So it will grow baby tears on a tank up to 18" deep probability.

Here is a pic of the QT system:

[​IMG]

4. larryl

larryl Copepod

Cool, thanks SynDen and sethsolomon. I'd want the regular Planted+, not the FugeRay Planted+, right? I see a non-24/7 version of the Planted+ on the Finnex web site, but it does not look like anyone carries it online, I only see the 24/7 version...

5. sethsolomon

sethsolomon Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

They sunsetted the regular planted+. I use the Planted+ 24/7's . Don't get the FugeRay. they are a much lower quality product.

6. scchase

scchase Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

I have a used planted 24/7 for sale if you are interested.

7. larryl

larryl Copepod

Thanks Scott, sent you a PM.