Please help, Zoa controll

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a few areas in my tank where Pink and Golds have taken over. It seems as if they double the number of polyps each month. I also have the same problem with Mohawks and nuc greens, but not as bad. What is the best way to control these?

I do not want to introduce anything that will eat them, as I have many zoas that I want to keep, and killing them in the tank (kalk, laser, etc...) will introduce a ton of toxins. I have tried to physical remove them, but it seems to just damage them, they spew a ton of palytoxin, then come back stronger then before.

SLewis

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
frag them and sell them

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Have you actually killed them in the tank with kalk and had the toxins jack with stuff, or are you just reading/supposing this? I have killed zoas with kalk and have never had a problem with toxins.

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cherub;263890 said:
urchins eat them I hear.
whered you hear that? and best thing i can say to do honestly... if they thrive in the tank, throw them in the sump/fuge whenever theres too many, or start grabbing chunks and throwing it on CL or here for 5 bucks a "chunk". out of all the things in our tanks that can grow out of control, cant say id mind this as much. haha

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
PlumCrazy;263896 said:
whered you hear that? and best thing i can say to do honestly... if they thrive in the tank, throw them in the sump/fuge whenever theres too many, or start grabbing chunks and throwing it on CL or here for 5 bucks a "chunk". out of all the things in our tanks that can grow out of control, cant say id mind this as much. haha
Oh it was on here lol. Someone said they lost a few colonies to their urchin.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
jda123;263873 said:
Have you actually killed them in the tank with kalk and had the toxins jack with stuff, or are you just reading/supposing this? I have killed zoas with kalk and have never had a problem with toxins.
+1 or I use Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Get an exacto and start fragging them... then DBTC or trade them for new corals... #win/win

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
my fragging skills on zoas are not very good. I usually end up destroying them. I have tried to pull these guys off too, and they do not have a mat, they are connected via a spider web type of connection, which makes it a PITA to get off.

I'll try again with an exacto, instead of a normal blade to see if that gives me better control. If not, I guess I can use some kalk paste, or end up pulling a couple rocks out.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cherub;263907 said:
Oh it was on here lol. Someone said they lost a few colonies to their urchin.
Gabe, the urchins, pods, nudi, etc.... only eat your nice zoas, like the CARs, Utter Chaos, Sunny D's, Mauls, etc... They don't touch the ones we don't want.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So, I wouldn't say we don't want them. I just don't like how fast they are growing, and spreading, and taking over rocks. I posted a bunch of DBTC's a couple weeks back, and if I can get these fragged without killing them, I'll post them as DBTC too.

JNG

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I find the easiest way to frag zoas is to just place some small rubble rock over the zoas you want to thin out. Wait a few weeks and they will grow over the rubble leaving you ready to go frags.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Reason I asked is because I am doing mostly zoa and it is small tank so want slower growers that people will want. Not just common fast growers.