1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

Plugging holes

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Projects' started by Miah2bzy, May 2, 2017.

1. Miah2bzy

Miah2bzy Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

Strictly talking about a reef tank here, I took off the old overflows and have 4 holes in the bottom of the tank. Originally I was going to put in bulkheads and plug those but I'll never use them again (I'm drilling holes farther up the back for a different overflow system). I'm thinking of just siliconing glass over the top as I did on a past tank.[​IMG]
    Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Miah2bzy

Sorry I'm not sure why Tapatalk is duplicating posts for me.

3. SeaMonkey

SeaMonkey Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Siliconing glass pieces over the top of these holes should work fine. I have done it a few times in the past.

4. DJBM3

DJBM3 Amphipod

I didn't think about that... I'd always used a bulkhead and plug. I have a drilled 40g that I'm going to plug this way. Thanks for the idea!

5. maxthedog2000

maxthedog2000 Copepod

Sounds reasonable to me. However, bulkheads might be less expensive? I don't know.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

6. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Glass would definitely be an option. Just make sure it can stand the weight and pressure

7. Legonch

Legonch Freak Nasty Funk M.A.S.C Club Member

If that tank is glass get some glass covers made and silicone it on. Acrylic will not silicone strongly to glass and vice versa. You could also put inside thread bulkheads in and screw a plug in and seal those that way also.

8. Miah2bzy

Siliconing 1/4" glass I had from baffles in a 20L I no longer have.