Plumbing Q

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wanted to double check before ordering.

So, the pump I'm getting is 1.5" in and out. So I need 1.5" PVC, 1.5" Bulkheads, and 1.5" Cepex Ball Valves, correct?

I just wanted to make sure nothing gets stepped down, ie the pump is 1.5", but the rest of the stuff would be 1" for some reason.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Re: Plumbing Q

Yes sir, you will be fine with what you have planned. The only reason to down size would be if you purposefully wanted to decrease flow, but that's what the ball valve is for.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Necking down pipes can also increase head, but it will usually raise wattage. You can also increase velocity by lowering the output pipe size, which can make for some super strong flow - this too will increase the wattage that the pump uses. If you are only dealing with 4-5 feet of head, then I would keep it as wide open as possible, unless you are looking for some mega flow.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks, I'm not worried about head, or trying to increase anything. I just wanted to make sure what I order, would fit together :)

I was contemplating BRS for plumbing equipment, anyone know of a cheaper option for SCH 80 stuff?

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Plumbing Q

I used all sch 80 BRS stuff, I could not find it cheaper anywhere locally or by the time shipping was added. I used sch 80 for the look and wow factor only. No reason for it otherwise. In fact sch 80 has a slighly smaller inner diameter so pressure aside (considering pressure is not an issue here) standard sch 40 pvc is technically better imo.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Re: Plumbing Q

I would agree no need for sch 80. Heck you could spray paint sch 40 any color you want (ex pink) just make sure you tape off the glue and primer ends :D

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
whatever I do it always takes me 2 or three trips to the store. I order most plumbing stuff from brs and get the fittings at lowes. Some local fish stores do carry more than they have on the shelf so you might ask what they have locally too.

Thunder is a show off! lol

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Since we're talking plumbing, I have a 75 gallon tank going up. It has three holes cut, 2 - 1", and 1 - 3/4".

Would you use one 1" for return, and the other two (a 1" and a 3/4") for drains?

Or better off with the two 1" for drains, and the 3/4" for the return?

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
For my first tank I used the Harvel LXT sch80 pipe and fittings. Because I liked the blue pipe. Pretty stuff but way expensive. Never did that again but it did make for pretty pipes!