Plumbing question

So how do you guys that have your sumps in the basement keep the water in the pipes leading upstairs during the feedcycle? My issue..., three times a day my Apex shuts the return pump off. Then all the water in the return pipes flows back to the sump (no problem, my sump can hold the backflush). The problem is when the return pump turns back on all the, now air, in the pipes blows back into the tank causing a ferocious boiling/splashing that results in unnecessary wet lights and saltcreep. I don't think I want to do a checkvalve - too many horror stories.

Craigar;333158 said:
I have check valves in mine
What type of checkvalve? How long have you had it installed? What type of maintenance do you do? I've done a lot of research and it seems a checkvalve is the only way to go but I just wanted to get other's input 'cause ya never know...

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I never turn my pump off to feed but I do run a checkvalve from brs its been up and going for two years I clean it every 6 months

samindenver

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I haven't had time to set mine up yet, but my plan is to use a DC pump and have the Apex slowly ramp it up to minimize the air flushing into the tank. I do have butterfly check valves on the pumping but looking for redundancy.