Pom pom crab larvae?

I have hundreds of pom pom crab larvae swimming around my tank. I want to try and raise them in a dedicated 10gal. I was wondering if anyone has had any success in rearing them? What foods should I try? I haven't heard of much success in raising them, but who knows... there can be a first time for everything :)

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Re: Pom pom crab larvae?

You sure they are pom pom crab larvae and not copepods?

LOL I'm sure

Wish I had a video, it was really cool to watch all the larvae swarm out at once :D

yOdaddy

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
What's your parameters at? I've always had them with eggs/larvaes and you can even see little eyeballs but I never see them hatched, either that or something is eating them

Try copepods or rotifers. Usually you want to try the larvae of the copepods first, then go up from there

2sweet

Butterfly Fish
Wow, really hope you can raise them. Even a few would be awesome. Congratulations!,,,

Thanks :D I will try all the above. The one male pom pom crab is a busy man.. I just saw my other female carrying a brood as well.

@y0daddy - params are..
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 20 ppm
phos - 0
ph -8.4
calc - 620ppm
dkh -9
temp - 79-80 depending on lights running
I dose Instant Ocean reef accelerator every week for trace elements
Add 1 tps of phytofeast daily

Those last two I feel is important for their growth. My pom poms shed their "skin" once a week. They have doubled in size since I got them last month :D The phyto helps them stay fed when they use their anemones for "sweeping" the water. They also love krill for their meaty foods.

Oh I forgot, they also split their anemones almost as much as they shed their skin. Those anemones grow really fast. Gets too big for them to hold so they drop one and split the other. I'm really hoping to catch the second pom pom giving "birth" to the brood on video. It really was amazing. She spread her arms titanic style and they all released into the water in about 5 seconds. Horror movie s***! lol

yOdaddy

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Aahhahahahaha I can see it. They're already funny walking around with their Pom poms. Isn't your calcium level a bit high?

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
CrashNT;240568 said:
Oh I forgot, they also split their anemones almost as much as they shed their skin. Those anemones grow really fast. Gets too big for them to hold so they drop one and split the other. I'm really hoping to catch the second pom pom giving "birth" to the brood on video. It really was amazing. She spread her arms titanic style and they all released into the water in about 5 seconds. Horror movie s***! lol
What happens to the nems they drop? Do they continue to live and grow?

@ ReifCheif - I have only seen two successfully grow. The first was a small white nem, it was attached to the intake of the old overflow I was using. The second was a small orange nem, which has attached to a LR in the refuge. The others might be living in the refuge as well, I havent seen them though. I did notice them floating around the water column for a day of two before disappearing. They dont seem to attach well in a high flow tank, which might result in their death. The skimmer might suck them up as well? Not sure if they need the crab to survive for long periods in the aquarium. Guess time will tell. I am unfamiliar with their species of anemone, I have asked around and haven't found much info on them.

@ y0daddy - I don't think it is harmful to have a little extra calcium. My halimeda loves it :) They look more beautiful than ever, bright green. They looked like crap before I started dosing a lil' extra calc weekly to bring it from 500 to 660. No3 at 20ppm wasn't enough to encourage the halimeda growth. Now I have sprouts shooting up everywhere, cant even see 2 inches in anymore o_O Off topic, but that is what led me to increase the dosings.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Very cool, Id like to get a pair now.

2sweet

Butterfly Fish
I read the larvae eat baby brine shrimp

I have tried baby brine shrimp too, they seem to thrive at the surface feeding on pods and their larvae. I estimate only 50% are still alive though.. If I dont have much success with the current batch, I will switch things up on the next batch and see what works best.