Pond care?

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anyone run a pond in your back yard? I have a small 2 pond setup, maybe 400 gallons total. Looking for some helpful tips on maintenance, what works, and doesn't, chemicals, etc. Water this Spring seemed a funky, super stinky. I'm considering draining, and refilling, but wonder if I can do something better?

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pond care?

I have a small pond ;-) I know a little bit if you have a lot of debri that's fallen into your pond you should rent a pond vac I personally wouldn't change the water unless you have no fish in it. Just like our tanks you need to have the good bacteria in there to eat the fraying stuff and reduce nitrates

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So do you add anything for bacteria? I have no fish currently. Trying to figure out what I need to add/watch for monthly...

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pond care?

You can add Bactria to kick start everything what kinda filtration do u have? You can add barley bales to the water which when it decomposes it puts off a chemical that fights the algea.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a pondmaster submersible filter setup. Nothing too fancy. To be honest, I filled the pond last summer, and dropped in the submersible filter. When I stopped in at Targawa they tried to get me into a bunch of chemicals, I left overwhelmed...

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
How big are barley bales and where do you look for them? Do you just toss them into the deep area? I have heard of using barley, but not the conditions for use.

Craigar;248777 said:
You can add Bactria to kick start everything what kinda filtration do u have? You can add barley bales to the water which when it decomposes it puts off a chemical that fights the algea.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pond care?

I buy the huge bails from a feed store if its a smaller pond percolating or ebay has them you just put them into a area where the water flows and Fter it decomposes it puts off a chemical that kills the alea

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a surface skim box with a net and bio pad before it enters the return area to be pumped back up to the water fall. [attachment=64549:name]

If i put some in the box either in the net or below the net, would that work?

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Re: Pond care?

Scott do you have trickling waterfalls or is it just a stationary pool? If you have waterfalls I have found that if you let the falls dry out over night you will have less algae growth. This obviously is similar to how the algae scrubber works ; thin layers of running water, air and sun light is perfect environment for algae to grow. Therefore if you let the waterfall area dry out over night (12 on/ 12 off) you will have less algae issues. I have also often times installed inline uv filters and also bottom draws and installed jets fed from the return line to circulate stagnate areas of water or areas where current forces surface debris to a stale areas unable to be recirculated and taken in for the return loop.

If you need any help with ideas, you can always call or text me. I have built and specified many ponds and water features in recent years, with many running over 45k gallons an hour with multiple pumps.

Here are few pics of one of my favs that I designed and my company installed. It has 3 Atlantic title wave pumps, 1 for the two smaller falls and 2 for the main section.