Power outage

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Anyone else have power out? In west greeley I've been without since 10:30 last night! 9 hours so far...

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is so stressful to deal with. I have a generator for the whole house, the reef was the main reason for that as about two years ago, had 7+ power outages in a 6 month period. Now that I have a generator.... 1 power outage for 45 min in 2 years... nice.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I've been pouring water every 30 min since last night. Going to get a battery powered air pump as soon as the store opens. My old one doesn't seem to work. Tested it several years ago but never needed. Tank is going to get cold soon. At least it wasn't all that cold last night.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
FinsUp!;297547 said:
Doc, we have a generator, if you need it.
Thanks! I can not imagine this could last much longer?!? I have a friend with one who is close. I'll get that if this goes much longer.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a few generators if you end up needing one.

Harbor Freight has a 1000(ish) watt one for typically $100. 2 stroke. Probably not an awesome genny, but it will run a return pump and a few heaters.

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
JLAURENCE32;297564 said:
Power outages stink. I have a $30 power inverter that I can hook up to my car battery. Works good. Hope you didn't lose anything.
How long will a car battery power your tank? That's a really good idea!

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
JLAURENCE32;297564 said:
Power outages stink. I have a $30 power inverter that I can hook up to my car battery. Works good. Hope you didn't lose anything.
I'll look into that too. No losses so far.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've kept tanks warm through a 12+ hr outage in the winter by wrapping it in sleeping bags.

If you have comforters or anything available... you can tape them up to help insulate the tank.

Good luck! Hope they get this sorted soon. I left home this morning and saw Xcel trucks a few houses down...hoping my power didn't get cut too long for repairs.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cheap gennys are awesome, but if you do ever get one, I would not plug anything sensitive stuff into it. Heaters, pumps and lights are about all that I will use... no controllers or anything more sensitive than power tool or battery charger.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
For such a long tank I imagine it'd be hard to make a dent. And I've only ever done it when kickstarting an empty tank. But if you can get something heated (gas fire) you could try drizzled in safe spots boiling RODI or maybe a rotation of scalding hot metal. If you get that desperate and can't get something else worked out.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Obvious im sure but ....just in-case. If you have a gas stove you could always heat water and fill milk jugs or the likes or obviously you could just fill up jugs of hot water from sink to help combat dropping temps.

BryanF;297565 said:
How long will a car battery power your tank? That's a really good idea!
Really just use it for the return pump and heater only. You just go out and start your car occasionally to keep the battery from running down. Its just cheaper than buying a generator... unless you buy it at Harbor Freight.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
No power yet. Put a battery powered air pump on it. A friend is bringing a generator over for this eve if I need. Goona get one this week though. Just to have.