Power outage

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Power on! Temp really low. Everything seems ok. I'm getting a back up plan together for the future. Kinda have been avoiding it for a while now.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
well at least it in on now. how low is the temp? Hopefully not to low and you dont lose anything. Nothing like a power outage to light a fire under you to get things done

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
1000 watt generator from harbor freight! $90 bucks. Hell, 1 clam is worth twice that. Go grab one... On sale from $149

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
One other idea for the future or anyone else with this problem. Pour hot (not quite boiling) water into Nalgene type water bottles and float them in your sump (and change as needed). In theory this should be better/easier to manage than adding hot water directly to the tank.
Side note - I do this for my wife when we camp. Before bed heat some water, put it in a nalgene and toss that in the bottom of her sleeping bag. A simple, safe heater. Happy wife, happy life.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Last major power outage I had lasted 2 and half days. I found that Korellias or other low wattage flow pumps will run on a deep cycle battery and converter for about 30 hours or so. Don't even bother with heaters they draw to much. For heat I ended up taking 5g buckets from the tank and heating them by my fireplace and then pouring them back in, worked well till I was able to borrow a generator for the last day.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a Briggs and Stratton elite 10,000 W generator and a separate sub panel for the whole house. This way the reef is protected and i'm comfortable.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I got the little cheapie from harbor freight. Actually only 88 bucks. I figure it's worth it if it works once or twice in a pinch.