Pre-filter/guard for a closed loop..

SquidBreath

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey guys...
Ramping up my new build (Actually have been taking pics for a build thread this time) and am up against a small problem.
I am building in a couple closed loops for flow, and I don't want anyone or anything to get sucked into the pumps--so I need something to put over the intake to filter/guard these ports.

Was going to use a couple magnum power filter carbon containers, but also looking for other options. I know some of the older canister filters used to have some awesome intake filters, but I can't seem to find any around. Looking for ideas...

It needs to sit on top of a pipe coming up out of the bottom, at the back of the tank.

Here's the Magnum carbon cartridge idea...was going to turn these upside down...
View attachment 15705 View attachment 15705
Any ideas much appreciated...

Thanks!
Dave

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I used 1.5" strainers and the sponges that come with mag 9.5, 12 and 19 pumps - they are coarse enough to not restrict flow, but fine enough to catch sand. They rise out really easily too.

SquidBreath

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hmm...those look pretty good! But you are saying you use a sponge filter over yours? How many Gph are you pulling through them?
Thank you for the tips by the way!