Presence of E. coli in Brighton water

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got the news yesterday that a routine water test from a residential spigot not 5 blocks from my house tested positive for E. coli. Of course I'm taking all the precautions I can, but I'm curious if E. coli can affect my tank any? I haven't made any water in 2 weeks, so my current top off supply should be ok. The research I've done so far says that a standard (non industrial) RO/DI unit will NOT remove E. coli from the water supply, and that while its not an ideal environment, E. coli can survive in saltwater. Has anyone ever dealt with this before?

algaeman

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
RO/DI will remove bacteria. No mfr is going to state that, because if you let your filters get septic and then get sick, they have some liability. The carbon on there is your best defense against E coli, so if you are worried, change that filter out. My feeling is the tank is going to get more bacteria from your hands than it would from the "positive" reading they got in Brighton.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Presence of E. coli in Brighton water

I would do a search on size of the bacteria vs the size of your filters. And hope your filters are smaller.

sent from your home

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

algaeman;254761 said:
RO/DI will remove bacteria. No mfr is going to state that, because if you let your filters get septic and then get sick, they have some liability. The carbon on there is your best defense against E coli, so if you are worried, change that filter out. My feeling is the tank is going to get more bacteria from your hands than it would from the "positive" reading they got in Brighton.
RO/DI will not remove bacteria from the water. It must be boiled or ultraviolet sterilized to incapacitate the bacteria. I was more worried about my top off water and having to change my RO filters because they may be contaminated and "hold" the bacteria. I was also worried about me sticking my hand in the tank and getting E. coli, but it seems it must be ingested to affect humans.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't know about saltwater tanks but I have had E. coli personally while living in South America and doctors say I'm very lucky to be here so please every one who lives in the area take every precaution you can.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
They find E. Coli in water supplies all the time, take the proper precautions and youll be fine.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Well they've narrowed down the area that affected and I'm not in it. We're still boiling water as a precaution, but it seems that bacteria is entering the system somewhere in the affected loop and isn't in the entire system. I'm trying to hold off on making topoff water as long as possible, but I'm down to my last 5 gallons which will only last about 2 more days. Hopefully by then I will be all clear to use the tap water again.

SAZAMA

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
[video=youtube;7UxcvQVgDhw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UxcvQVgDhw[/video]
you can grab some h2o from me if you need to.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

SAZAMA;254975 said:
[video=youtube;7UxcvQVgDhw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UxcvQVgDhw[/video]
you can grab some h2o from me if you need to.
Nice!! Well we just got notice that with the exception of 18 homes, Brightons water supply is safe to consume. I'm not in the 18 homes so I got the RODI running this morning!! Thanks for the offer though, SAZAMA!!