PSA Molly Miller Blennies

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
(Short version, like other blennies some reported sps nipping, mine decided it likes rock flower Anemones!)

In case anyone was thinking of one. Yknow those so ugly they are cute almost little boggle eyed blennies? I'd caution against it. IIRC when I had looked at them first a year or two ago. They were supposed to be reef safe, maybe some nipping at say sps perhaps. But otherwise were just drab ugly little oddballs also rumoured to eat small aiptasia...

So 6 months or so ago got one. He's been shy. Dashes out to eat stuff but otherwise perches hiding in the algae he also doesnt touch. Even not doing his job of maybe eating the odd appy, he was a quirky hidden addition.....

Well in the last week suddenly my rock flower anemones (first 2 then a 3rd) started looking chewed up or otherwise kinda retracted and unhappy. I figured maybe some contaminant or maybe water quality getting worse in some way they don't like since nothing else having issues and no other changes/additions to tank.

Figured maybe nearby appies able to sting them or perhaps that it was my rock boring urching that lives entirely in a square 6 inche area that he patrols. So I removed a rock with 2 of the rock flowers a couple days ago over to an open area of tank they were away from everything.

Come home today after continuing to generally look worse..... Ones gone and other has very little left. And even a tiny one in far corner of tank not happy...... Mr Molly miller hanging right next to the chewed up rock flower. After like half an hour of watching, I caught him snap a peck at the rock flower........

So now trying to figure out how to catch the little bastard as he's very flighty and fast. Just surprised that of all the things to go after, he suddenly likes my nice rock flowers.

Last edited by a moderator:

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Put the rock flower nem in a fish trap and wait for him to go get a snack.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Don't have one handy. For the moment I took the ones I could and placed them in a corner almost against glass to keep them safe. One that is attached to a base rock I can't do anything about.

No fish traps. Most of my fish are too big for common ones.

I did though I'm unhappy about it have a temporary solution. He dove into a tunnel he'd made I think under/between some rocks and I walled in the entrances with some sand. Think I have him trapped in there. After work I'll try to unburry one side and see if I can net him if he comes out. Assuming he had enough trickle of flow to not suffocate in there.

Normally I'd go to any lengths to save a bad fish for another home etc. (I'd likely put him in my growing refugium sump of bad dudes) But with my favorite rock nem gone, and others pretty beat up it's just too much $ value to risk. And I'm not willing to tear down my entire tanks rockwork to get him both due to my recent back surgery as well as never getting the jigsaw put back toghether and the other corals it would disrupt.

DIY traps are easy to make and materials are readily available. I had a fish that was being a pest two months ago so I gave it a try. Caught him in the fist 15 min.