Punjab's 150

Punjab

Angel Fish
This is my 150 gallon tank I set up in November of '08.
The display is a 60"x24"x24" JEBO tank.
I purchased this tank because of its dimensions and I really like the curved corners.
I hate drilling tanks and so this system utilizes a CPR overflow which feeds into a 55 gallon custom glass sump.
The lighting is 2x250w IceCap HQI pendants and IceCap electronic ballast with Ushio 10K bulbs. I will be adding 4 T5 bulbs as soon as I can decide on a pair of 30" fixtures to fit over the top.
The tank has already had some ups and downs including a brief battle with cyano. I managed to single out bad carbon from a LFS as the culprit. Leaching phosphates into the water for a number of weeks before I realized the problem. So currently I'm not running any carbon, only GFO. Since then I've had quite an increase in growth and have been graced with some great colors for only using 250 10K bulbs. Flow is contributed by 2 Koralia 3s and a Koralia 4 in addition to what I get from the return pump. The skimmer is an ASM G1X with a few of the normal mods to bump up performance. Calcium and alkalinity are maintained with a CoraLife calcium reactor.
Anyway, on to the eye candy. Enjoy and all comments are welcomed.

And the tank's biggest fan while I'm at it

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mantid

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thats a killer looking tank you got there! Its so clear. Did you get some of your LR from D&G? I notice the brain coral of the piece LR that I see at D&G a lot.

Punjab

Angel Fish
Thanks!
I'm snapping pictures with an Olympus C-5050ZOOM. It's not the nicest digital camera, but it gets the job done.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah the tank looks pretty damn good and crystal clear. I like the fact that the tank is all you need for the dog to be obedient lol.

Punjab

Angel Fish
Update

Just thought I'd post some recent pictures I took last night. Some of my corals have been growing tremendously, others not as much.
I changed my bulbs from Ushios to XM and wow, the colors of a number of my corals have changed dramatically. I'm definitely sticking to the XMs from now on. Still no T5 fixtures though.

This is supposed to be a blue digitata but you really only notice a blueish hue when you look across the side of the polyps.

Punjab

Angel Fish

I had to isolate these GSP to an island before they managed to overtake everything else in the tank. Now they can be easily fragged.

Punjab

Angel Fish
hurrafreak;17384 said:
I like the clam, I want to get another but I think I will wait until later lol.
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I want to cover the gaps between corals with tridacnas. For some reason my derasa hasn't extended its mantle past its shell for a couple weeks. Its retaining color and still opens up its shell and mouth but I'm getting somewhat concerned about the mantle thing.

I have actually. If you notice in the older images the derasa was really extending its mantle. And it started keeping it retracted while in that location so I initially thought maybe something in that part of the tank was irritating it like a shrimp that hangs out over there. So I moved it over by the squamosa and it really didn't change much so I moved it back. I've tried re-orienting its incurrent and excurrent mouths, angling it away from the light. All with little to no change.
It's confusing too, as that clam has always been so hardy. Even when some various levels in the tank were off and affecting the polyp extension on a few SPS that clam was loving life. Now, everything else but that clam is doing excellent.

hoodrat

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks good clams can be finicky at times. Soon as we figure out what our next project will be hopefully ill fill the tank with sand and get some clams

Punjab

Angel Fish
My girlfriend got a new camera so I thought I'd test it out with some updated pictures of the tank. I'm not too impressed but they're pretty good for a point and shoot.
Anyway
FTS

Corals

Punjab

Angel Fish
Thanks! Everything stays pretty stable nowadays. I just need more corals to fill some of the voids!
I want to redo the filtration. Mostly just to make it more accessible for maintenance and cleaning.

LazyK

Cleaner Shrimp
Very nice! I like the aquascape.
Don't get carried away filling the gaps with coral. Leave room for the ones you have to grow into nice colonies before overlapping each other. I know from experience that is easier said than done. We all get carried away when we see that beautiful frag we just can't live without.

hurrafreak;33325 said:
Can't wait to see the pictures! Your tank has always looked pretty sweet!
Thanks!
I need to borrow the camera we have at work again. This point and shoot thing is the absolute worst way to take pictures of an aquarium.
Anyway, you can kinda tell how the color has changed. It is, as they say, much better in person.

One of my new favorite pieces thanks to Shawn!