Punjab's 150

A really cool favia I picked up at ReefStock

And two of the most difficult fish in my tank to get good pictures of

Thanks for looking!

Update 11-11-10

The tank has been through a lot lately. I moved to a new house and a number of things didn't make it with me. I lost nearly half of my fish, both clams, and a number of frags.
However, through all the chaos some good things did happen. I was able to set my filtration up in a way that makes it really easy to maintain and access over the previous hodge podge I had. In addition to that I installed some better safety measures to ensure that I'm less likely to inadvertently start an electrical fire.
And now that its recovering the coral and remaining livestock seem to be doing better than before.
I recently added a very young Niger trigger. So far its really shy and inquisitive. Hopefully it continues to not show any aggression. At the moment it can hardly fit a Formula pellet in its mouth though.
I'm borrowing a DSLR camera this weekend so hopefully I can post up some better pictures.

DBTC: I've got blue montipora digitata, Idaho grape montipora, and a number of zoas and palys coming out of my ears now. If someone is interested in frags of either I'd be quite happy to donate or trade. Let me know.

Yeah, I know I'm rolling the dice by adding that fish. I've had good luck with Nigers in the past and really do enjoy them. However, I have seen them turn destroyer too.
Like I mentioned this one is young. I'm hoping for the best but prepared for worse.
I'd love to hear anyone elses experience with triggers in a reef. Both positive and negative.

I have been keeping a niger in my reef tanks for almost 2yrs. It is the coolest fish with the most personality of any I have had. It has never bothered any corals until the last few weeks. I believe it has taken offence to the new growth on the hollywood stunner chalice. Or maybe he has decided to frag it for himself. He has bitten off pencil eraser size pieces but is nice enough to spit them back out. I would like to find him a new home not because of the coral but because he needs a larger home. He is in my 144g but is probably 5"+. Good luck!

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would think as long as they are well fed triggers wouldn't do more than nip here and there, but have heard bad stories about them decimating entire displays, both fish and corals.

wicked demon;59874 said:
I would think as long as they are well fed triggers wouldn't do more than nip here and there, but have heard bad stories about them decimating entire displays, both fish and corals.
Everything I read says the same thing. But I dont think you can give them enough food. I will put a cube of trigger food on a toothpick for him, feed the tank one more cube of mysis or what ever, and a pinch of rods food and he will still eat half a strip of seaweed. Its a bottomless pit!

Thanks for all the replies. This little trigger is a voracious eater as well. Still incredibly shy though. Obviously its still acclimating to the other inhabitants but the slightest thing scares it.
There is definitely plenty of courage for food. Its a really pretty fish and I hope I can keep it for years to come.
I do know firsthand the pain a trigger can cause. One day back when I worked at Reef N Pond I was moving a very large picasso trigger from one tank to another and it whipped one time and bit my finger. Drew blood and hurt like all hell.

I hope nobody minds me posting more pictures. I guess thats how I like my threads: full of pictures. I took these last night. I pretty much suck at taking pictures of my tank despite what camera I use. In my defense it is pretty difficult to do right with these blue lights.

You can kind of see the trigger's size in this picture relative to a couple other inhabitants. I think my larger pajama cardinal is bigger than the trigger.

I mentioned my clams passing when I moved. I didn't want to get rid of the shells but I also didn't want big, deceased clam shells taking up relatively valuable space. So I started sticking SPS frags in them. They've already encrusted both shells and I think its going to look pretty cool. I'm contemplating passing one along in the DBTC if anybody is interested. Tell me what you think.

Some new frags

A few top downs

And another FTS as of last night

I've recently decided I'm going to put a black or blue backing on the backside of the tank. Clean things up a bit.

I realized it's been over a year since I last updated this thread. So I'm probably well overdue for one.
For nearly the last year I've been battling cyano in some form or another. It has recently begun to trail off and things are looking better but for a while it was overwhelming. I realized I do feed a lot so I've been trying to cut back some. I just love fat fish.
I no longer have the Kole Tang and have instead been keeping a Lieutenant Tang for about 6 or 7 months now. Anyway, on to the pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sooooo would anybody be interested in some Idaho Grape monti frags? I've got a lot that I'd like to get rid of. A trade-off for anything that isn't GSP or Xenia would be sweet but by no means required.
I'd actually like to completely get rid of one of those clam shells with all the coral growing in it. They both contain a bunch of Idaho grape, green digitata, and some zoas.
If you'd just like to come get a frag though I've got at least 5 or 6 silver dollar-sized frags I can give out DBTC style.
I'm in Fort Collins and am pretty much home everyday. I really don't know anybody on here but I'm totally a super awesome guy with corals to give!

Last edited by a moderator:

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thats a nice monti you have there. I have radioactive dragon eye or Nuclear holocausts that I would trade you. However I won't be in Ft. Fun til next Friday afternoon.

MartinsReef;161138 said:
Thats a nice monti you have there. I have radioactive dragon eye or Nuclear holocausts that I would trade you. However I won't be in Ft. Fun til next Friday afternoon.
Excellent! Some of the dragon eyes would be nice. I think I have a huge colony of what are called nuclear holocausts. I'll save you a piece of the monti. Just let me know when you're in town.

tlsrcs;130228 said:
What kind of trade do you want for a clam shell
Punjab;130228 said:
Well, the one that I'd like to get rid of is the one on the far left in the first pic and is on the right side in the second pic. It doesn't look like it, but in the second pic that is actually both of the shells sitting next to each other. The larger one is big now and takes up a lot of space on the sand bed. I don't expect to receive anything of equal size, or even close to. Maybe a frag of one or two different sps? I guess the question is, what do ya have to trade?
I have so much of all three of the corals on that shell that I think it's time to get rid of some and get something different in there. I'm not picky by any means but there are some things I'm not interested in keeping.