PVC "Guide"

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Intro:
I have a 60 frag tank by deep blue pro that I plumbed a few weeks back and quickly realized that I needed to hard plumb instead. As I researched PVC and how to install I had a hard time finding step by step instructions. Many of the threads on other forums (NOT ours) weren't complete or were critical of the setup/person installing and therefore lacked what I was wanting in a guide for PVC installation.
I am creating this thread for PVC to:
A) create a step by step guide on how to hard plumb a tank using only things found at a local hardware store. The second post on this thread follows my experience as I plumb my tank and is a guide for MY setup only, therefore it reflects only my experience and should be used as a starting point and not a definitive guide to your setup.
B) gather everyone's experiences together - the good, bad, and inbetween.
C) encourage newbies in the use of PVC on their setups as it is a viable option that I am finding has many benefits over flex pipe or vinyl tubing.
Happy reefing!

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
PVC "Guide"

*Disclaimer*
While this is intended to be a step by step guide on the use of PVC, this post will only reflect my setup. Your setup may be different and your situation may require different equipment or a different configuration than what I'm using. Please take my words as a grain of salt among the many experienced hobbyists who have been doing PVC for years longer than I.

Step-by-Step Guide to hard plumbing a reef tank with PVC

Step one: your tank
Purpose - This first step will analyze what kind of tank you have, if it can be drilled or came reef ready, and include some pre planning.
My tank came "reef ready", meaning there was an overflow installed in a back corner and the tank came drilled for 1" and 3/4" bulkheads. The bulkheads that came with the tank were slip x slip, however the underside where the PVC would have been glued had been made so that a person could slip tubing over the bulkhead and held in place with a clasp or clamp. This did not serve my purposes well so I had to buy new bulkheads. If your tank did not come drilled, you can have a lfs drill it for you for fairly cheap or you can do it yourself if you feel confident in your ability. There are many videos on YouTube showing this process so I won't include that here.
A note on bulkheads: bulkheads come in all shapes and sizes. For the purposes of my setup I needed to find bulkheads that were slip x slip so as to glue the bulkhead and PVC tuning together. There are two kinds of bulkheads commonly available, the reef ready tanks have the holes drilled close together and require a thin abs bulkhead. If I could have drilled the tank I would have spaced the holes farther apart and used the meatier bulkheads that use the thicker plastic. A common problem with the thin abs bulkheads is that they are prone to cracking if over tightened.
I bought new bulkheads at brs, they were the only place I could find bulkheads that would fit my purpose for plumbing. This was the only piece of equipment I could not find at lowes/Home Depot, plumbing stores, ace, and pool supply stores.

Step two: plan, plan, plan
I was always taught that when working in a project 1/3 of your time was spent planning, 1/3 spent building, and 1/3 spent finishing.
Purpose - during step two you will draw out the setup showing every Union, glue spot, PVC length, angle, etc.

For my setup I decided to stick with the 1" PVC as my tank drain and the 3/4" PVC as my return. This is glued to the bulkheads using abs to PVC glue (many choose to use PVC glue here but I wanted to do this by the book for the first time). The PVC comes from the bulkhead 6" down to a union (if you wanted to use different PVC you could use a compression pipe which would allow you to go from the bulkhead PVC diameter to any other sized diameter you wanted to use). The 6" drop is to leave room for a hack saw to be used in the event of a bulkhead cracking, needing to move the tank, etc. By using a union I don't have to redo the entire plumbing and can simply unscrew it from itself. I used 45* angles instead of 90* to relieve some head pressure put on the return pump. I also used unions wherever I could as this allows me to dismantle and clean any section or replace any section needed. I should note here that I put a t in my return to feed back to my sump as my return pump is a little too powerful for my overflow and was causing a major waterfall through the tines. I then added a ball valve to the t so I could control how much water would come back to the sump, I would have liked to use a gate valve to better tune this but wanted to stick with what I could easily find local at the hardware store.

Step three: gather your supplies
I found everything I needed at lowes for less than $50 and bought the bulkheads from brs; Vinyl tubing alone would have cost at least $30 plus clamps/clasps.
NOTE: I would encourage buying new bulkheads if this was a used tank. I've had multiple tanks that have had cracked bulkheads, gaskets that dried out and weren't sealing, etc., and most of the time I end up buying new bulkheads anyways after a few hrs working in the ones that it came with. If you are using used bulkheads made sure to clean the rings where the nut threads on.

Bulkheads for comparison showing the slip tubing connection common on reef ready tanks vs the slip x slip bulkhead used for PVC (note: I have four bulkheads and tried cutting off the slip tubing part, the diameter inside was too small to slip PVC inside and I had to buy the new ones pictured alongside the old ones)

PVC glue and primer combo pack (black/purple) and abs glue (green):

Step four: assembly
Purpose: to build the layout for your plumbing.
I started with the bulkheads and worked my way down from there. This seemed logical and there's really no other reason for doing it this way other than it just seemed like a good idea.
NOTE: the gasket on the bulkhead goes tank side. This creates a seal INSIDE the tank and not underneath the tank. While many will call foul and say it doesn't matter, it does. If the gasket seal is on top of the glass inside the tank then the water pressure will push down onto the seal making an even better seal; if the gasket is under the tank then the water will push past the glass down onto the gasket and while you can tighten the nut all you want you will stand a good chance of leaking from this point because it can never truly be tight enough, hence the need for a gasket inside the tank. The nut then goes on the underside and you tighten it till its hand tight. I always use a wrench (or you can find bulkhead wrenches) and tighten it 1/4 turn past hand tight. Any tighter than that and I've found the abs thin walled bulkheads tend to crack about a year in from the pressure that the nut puts on them from being over tight. This is just my expensive though and hand tight may be tight enough.

Here's a video on using unions from brs TV:
http://youtu.be/ikd_DeE9tY0

Last edited by a moderator:

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
PVC "Guide"

Step five: assembly (part two)

To get started, here's a good video on how to join PVC to fittings:
http://youtu.be/d5rxO59Tq9Q

Made a trip to the hardware store to get barbed fittings for attaching the PVC to braided nylon to my return pump.

The first thing I did was cut the PVC with a hacksaw (this can be done with a compound mitre saw, table saw, etc, but I had a hack saw on hand).

Second, I took a piece of sand paper and went around the outside and inside of each end of PVC.

Third, I dry fit the entire assembly together and fit it to my tank. This is where I noticed my drop for the return was too long and had to recut a few pieces to make it the right length to reach the return pump. I also cut more of my horizontal spans so the t would fall into the right chamber.

Fourth, I glued the PVC to the bulkhead using the technique shown in the video.
NOTE: I almost glued the union to the PVC before realizing that I had to connect

I glued the bulkhead first, installed the short length of PVC with the bulkhead and tightened the nuts, then with the bulkhead on the tank, I brought the other end of the union assembly and glued the union to the short PVC length.

In hindsight this would have been much easier to have just used a compression fitting instead of a union off of the short length of PVC coming down from the bulkhead.
You can see what I mean here:
this is where I would have used compression couplings, same price just don't have to glue. Had to cover the bottom tank in case of drips.
NOTE: In my first attempt at gluing I made the mistake of thinking the bulkheads and gate valves used the same connectors, but their female and male ends are very different. *trip to the hardware store #4*
Step six: wait
I've read you're supposed to wait everywhere from 12-24 hrs depending on the glue used, PVC sch, etc. I decided to wait longer as I wanted to make sure it was dry and reading for water.
After it had all cured and the smell was gone I rinsed it with fresh water and then hung it with steel hangers, in hindsight I could have probably used the plastic hangers with the catch on them as these will likely rust.

Tested the whole system and it holds water great.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
PVC "Guide"

Thoughts on how to attach a return pump to the return line?
I've read everything from PVC straight to pump glued, threaded onto pump, and gluing vinyl tubing to the pump to the PVC to dampen vibrations within the system.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is it internal or external pump? For external pump, you can put a rubber pad under the pump to absorb the vibrations. I would thread to the pump and add a union so you can easily remove the pump for maintenance or replacement if need be.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;355164 said:
what kind of pump?
Internal (in sump) rio 2500

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Shaunv;355166 said:
Is it internal or external pump? For external pump, you can put a rubber pad under the pump to absorb the vibrations. I would thread to the pump and add a union so you can easily remove the pump for maintenance or replacement if need be.
I'd love to have an external on this one but that'll have to wait until the next tank I'm afraid, not in the cards at the moment.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
get yourself a barb to come off of your pvc and use soft tubing to go to that pump. It'll cut down on pump noise as well. You can also, as suggested earlier, use a rubber pad to cut the noise as well.

rplank

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lol how did you manage to load all your pictures upside down? Thanks for this, btw....I am in the process of plumbing my 90!

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rplank;355211 said:
Lol how did you manage to load all your pictures upside down? Thanks for this, btw....I am in the process of plumbing my 90!
Stood on my head ;) I haven't a clue honestly cause they're right side up on the phone.
Gluing today and hoping to have that part up tomorrow then.
That 90 wil look great!!!!

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just out of curiosity, how would you all plumb an external pump?

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Miah2bzy;355282 said:
Just out of curiosity, how would you all plumb an external pump?
I ran flexible pvc (aka SpaFlex at Home Depot) from a bulkhead on my sump to the external pump, my pump has 1.5" threads so I put a threaded union on that and a slip after that to more flex pvc. (If I remember right I had to buy 2 unions, 1 threaded and 1 slip...but once you take them apart they are interchangeable, so I ended up with a union that was both threaded and slip :hypnotysed:) I also put a ball valve on either end for pump maintenance or to swap out the pump if it fails.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
TheRealChrisBrown;355284 said:
I ran flexible pvc (aka SpaFlex at Home Depot) from a bulkhead on my sump to the external pump, my pump has 1.5" threads so I put a threaded union on that and a slip after that to more flex pvc. (If I remember right I had to buy 2 unions, 1 threaded and 1 slip...but once you take them apart they are interchangeable, so I ended up with a union that was both threaded and slip :hypnotysed:) I also put a ball valve on either end for pump maintenance or to swap out the pump if it fails.
Unions are a reefers best friend

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
TheRealChrisBrown;355284 said:
Thanks Chris! Glad you chimed in as I was hoping to get some opinions on flex-PVC as well.
Any opinions on it or things you've found different with flex PVC vs the rigid stuff?

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I used flex PVC on hot tubs for years and it works really well. I have it in my tank and wished I had used rigid. I find my internal pumps move with the vibration of the pump and then moves up against the glass and it makes a lot of noise. Had I used rigid, the pump wouldn't move. Flex is easier to work with though. Just don't use too much primer or the flex can break down a little too far and leak eventually. Just my 2 cents

spinycheek

Featured Sponsors
Featured Sponsor
I know this is a little old, but I would like to add that you can save yourself a lot of time by using PVC pipe cutters. They are a ratcheting type of cutter that shears PVC very quickly and makes a very clean cut. Works on both rigid and hard PVC.
They look like this: