QT procedure for mandarins and shrimp gobies?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am planning on gettig a pair of mandarins and a shrimp goby (either a yasha, wheeler, or hi fin) to replace the ones that died from the velvet outbreak and associated copper QT. Hove any people had success with a certain method of QT for these types?

This is my plan as of now unless people have had better sucess with other methods. I would like to get some now and do a observational QT (no meds or hypo) for 4 weeks before placing them in the display. They would go through a 5 minute freshwater dip before entering the QT. The 10 gallon QT would be set up with a 1/2" bed of aragonite sand and has been cycled for 2 weeks with my new clown. I am also planning on adding a clump of cheato to help keep pod population up. I have a pod farm made from cake pans that has about 2000 pods to keep them fed constantly with a turkey baster full of them twice a day. All 4 fish would share the QT tank as I only have the one tank.

I would take the opportunity of having them in qt to attempt to get them eating on frozen as well, I kinda git lucky and mine learned after the qt process but I'm glad he did learn as I'm about to tear down my DT and place all my fish and corals in a temp holding tank that hasn't been established long

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;318549 said:
I am planning on gettig a pair of mandarins and a shrimp goby (either a yasha, wheeler, or hi fin) to replace the ones that died from the velvet outbreak and associated copper QT. Hove any people had success with a certain method of QT for these types?

This is my plan as of now unless people have had better success with other methods. I would like to get some now and do a observational QT (no meds or hypo) for 4 weeks before placing them in the display. They would go through a 5 minute freshwater dip before entering the QT. The 10 gallon QT would be set up with a 1/2" bed of aragonite sand and has been cycled for 2 weeks with my new clown. I am also planning on adding a clump of cheato to help keep pod population up. I have a pod farm made from cake pans that has about 2000 pods to keep them fed constantly with a turkey baster full of them twice a day. All 4 fish would share the QT tank as I only have the one tank.
Have no Qt advice, but just wanted to say that I am glad to hear your are back to the "bright side" of this hobby. You went through some amazing processes with the disease and I hope the new livestock stay healthy and happy. J

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
charleshardy5;318556 said:
I would take the opportunity of having them in qt to attempt to get them eating on frozen as well, I kinda git lucky and mine learned after the qt process but I'm glad he did learn as I'm about to tear down my DT and place all my fish and corals in a temp holding tank that hasn't been established long
If they take to it so be it, if they dont take to frozen, Im not worried. My display has about 40 isopods or copepods per square inch of surface area that are visible on the surface of live rock and glass with countless more inside the live rock and in the fuge. I would venture to guess that I have at least a half million pods in my display. I think they can manage without taking to frozen :)

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is how I have it set up now. Found an awesome male mandarin at liquid kingdom that they have had for 3 weeks and couldnt pass it up.

QT setup

New mandarin

Pod farm

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;318571 said:
This is how I have it set up now. Found an awesome male mandarin at liquid kingdom that they have had for 3 weeks and couldnt pass it up.
Nice! I saw that Mandarin and his huge top fin and was hoping someone who could really help him thrive would snag him.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Two things at play here. They fish can still have the disease even after two weeks of not looking like it. ...so with this in mind, some people will tell you just to add them straight to your display where there are more hiding places and pods to eat to keep stress low. Others will tell you to do what you are doing to keep stress low. Which is right? I dunno. I have always thought that a mini reef is best... pods growing and fish in there for a month to observe. There is no right answer here... some fish just don't QT. If you want to keep the fish, then you have to live with the consequences of adding them to the display without copper/hypo, regardless of the method. For me, these fish are wrasses.

I am of the opinion that there are no disease free tanks. Even the water from a frag can have disease on it from a store. I don't know anybody who QTs their coral for 8 weeks without new additions to keep ich, and the like, at bay. They fish need to fight it off for themselves like they do in nature... which is totally possible.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
My concern is the substrate in the QT. This is generally a no no for a QT tank IMO. Things can live in the sand, including parasites like crypto.