Question about new Saddleback Butterfly

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hmm. Might have to look for some of that.

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I keep Amquel handy in case of an ammonia spike. It takes care of nitrite and nitrate as well. You can limit your water changes to bigger and fewer. I do a 10G twice a week on my 29 and a 20G twice a week on my 40 breeder. I also add stability from seachem for the first 10 days every time I set up a new QT. After about 14 days the ammonia is taken care of by the bacteria.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So would it be better for me to do rock, or just pick up Amquel and Stability?

How would you get a 4 day old QT ready for you to leave town in a few days?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
cdrewferd;197441 said:
So would it be better for me to do rock, or just pick up Amquel and Stability?

How would you get a 4 day old QT ready for you to leave town in a few days?
I have some Seachem Prime if you need it...does the same as Amquel in converting ammonia to a non-toxic form until your bacteria can process it. Since it doesn't actually remove ammonia...you can still use it with the rock and cycle the tank the same way. The advantage of using Amquel or Prime is that you immediately lock up the ammonia...great for an emergency. I just dosed some into my FW tank a week ago due to an ammonia spike after an extended power outage. Lost maybe 2 or 3 of my 20+ fish, but would have probably lost the majority of my livestock without it.

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
i'd add the rock and stability. Keep Amquel on hand. Your wife can do ammonia checks daily while you are gone and if shes sees any levels she could add the amquel and avoid water changes until you get back. How long are you gone?

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Will be gone from Monday to Friday afternoon.

I'll get this going. Thanks a lot for your help guys. Really want this Saddleback to pull through as Live Aquaria hardly ever has them in stock.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Khalis, I'll text you on the Prime.

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
On a side note, I ended up getting a new air pump since I am running two QTs. Have a tetra which is kinda quiet (basement so I don't care) and a fluval 0.5 which is quieter(in my office so needs to be quiet). Tried a top fin because they were cheap and it is SUPER loud so I took it back for the fluval. At least the one I got was.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the heads up. I'll look for a Tetra of Fluval.