Question about Tangs and Angel fish

Pth03001

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good Afternoon everyone,

So I have just started up a new tank (180 gallon 5' x 2' x 30" tall) and I am having difficulties with putting together a fish list, specifically when it comes to the later stages of the build. I was curious if anyone had any experience with Bellus Angel fish in a reef tank. I have looked on Live Aquaria and some other forums which seem to say yes to them being reef safe but I still want to see about ya'll experience with this specific fish.

More importantly I wanted to ask about Tangs. When I got my tank I thought it would be large enough to suit most Tangs I could possibly want. The more I have looked into it though the more I have found that 6' is more of an appropriate minimum size for the fish I was first considering. That all being said I was looking for advise for stocking tangs in a 5' 180 gallon tank. The Naso, Chevron, blue hippo and powders seem to all be too large for my tank. I was looking at a classic yellow, possibly a powder brown, Kole eye or purple tangs. Any suggestions on types which would be suited for this tank as well as the number of Tangs that could be housed within the system. I have thought about 1 to 3 depending on size they get to but again, any insight would be much appreciated.

The last thing that I want to do is overcrowd or create a less than ideal environment for my fish who already are restricted to a small glass box. If that means that 6' for any Tang is really the minimum and by going smaller id be pushing the boundaries of proper care then I would rather go away from having this type of fish at all.

Also I just posted photos of my build yesterday so you can check them out here to get an idea of rockwork and spacing. http://www.marinecolorado.org/threads/the-180-build-from-the-ground-up.25756/ The photos are way down at the bottom of the page.

Thanks for the help.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Good call doing your research! I would definitely avoid larger species like Naso and Sohals, but if you have adequate hiding space in addition to open swimming space a blue hippo isn’t completely out of reach. The zebrasoma species like yellows, scopas, and purples will work. Many of the bristle tooth tangs will work well and stay relatively small. As for the bellus angels I haven’t kept one but have heard they are great fish.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Great Article on Reef Safe Anglefish - I currently have Bellus, Watanabei and Lamarks:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-02/hcs3/index.php

There are reef safe triggers that can do Ok in a 180G - bluethroat and sargassum:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/hcs3/index.php

For tangs, Chocolate is my favorite and can live it's whole life in a tank that size. Yellow, Purple and the other bristletooths can as well. Powder Brown, Powder Blue, Goldrim or a Hybrid can do well if you feed them enough. Remember that tanks are omnivores that eat a lot of plant material, but they are not obligate herbivores - give them plenty of Mysis or other meaty foods to avoid HLLE and aggressive behavior.

Don't forget about your Anthias and wrasses. Leopard Wrasses are my favorites, but the flashers and faries are awesome too. They need sand and a net top (get one):
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-07/hcs3/index.php

Pth03001

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm sorry it took so long to get back to this thread but I wanted to thank you both for the help and links to the sites. Reefkeeping magazine is my new favorite site, until I devour its content like a locust! As part of my fish plan I am thinking about adding Anthias probably in my 3rd group addition. My next addition to the tank will probably be a foxface rabbitfish, diamond goby and a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse. That will bring my bio load up to 7 fish and make it stable enough to add a group of Anthias. I have the day today to really get into Reefkeeping magazine and look through their fish articles. Very excited to learn some more and again, thank ya'll for the help!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Please read up on RK Magazine. It is almost as good as a book where the people who write there were vetted almost as well as the publication process. Message boards can be really awesome, but they give equal weight to everybody from those who are good enough to write for RK magazine but also those with a few-months-old pizzpants tank with a few boogers on frag plugs who suffer from Dunning Kruger Effect. Unfortunately, it takes a decent sized breath and depth of knowledge to know which are which and oftentimes the most persistent and loudest get to be seen as the most knowledgable.

When you pick out anthias, first start by considering how much you will be around to feed them frozen food. Some kinds will take to pellets and you can feed them with an autofeeder. Some kinds will need VERY regular feedings of frozen food - if there is a automated frozen food feeder, then somebody please let me know!