Quick Frag Rack

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I never liked the idea of having an unsightly piece of egg crate in my DT but it's better than keeping my frags on the sand. All I used was a mag float, zip ties, and egg crate. It only took 5 minutes.

Jadkins4

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm gonna make one tonight. I'm in the same situation at the moment and was thinking of rigging something up.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
sigh, i need a frag rack. I refuse to use egg crate...been looking for a nice small corner rack (smaller than the Eshops one) and one that is maybe 6" long, but only like 2" deep. They wouldn't hold much.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Cherub;307037 said:
nothing wrong with the sandbed usually. anytime I use eggcrate i get algae. use with caution
Sifters keep knocking over and covering my frags. I also have enough tangs to take care of any algae issues.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I just used my old mag float that was acrylic safe, cut some egg crate to the size I wanted, and used a zip tie to hold it together. This way I can acclimate new corals to the light just by moving it slowly up the side.

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I do the same thing all the time but Gabe is right they love to grow algae I just do an acid dip on occasion to kill it. my dillema is i have some that is encrusted with red planet so I'll pry snip that piece off and mount it to a frag plug and pry dbtc it

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Just making a spot to store frags for and from the swap on the 10th.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
To combat the algae that has been time and time again proven to grow really well on white egg crate - I have read that constructing your rack and then soaking it in bleach for a few days, air dry and then soaking it in vinegar for a few days will greatly reduces the chances of algae and or eliminate it. I have done this method on black myself (zero algae growth) but have not tried on white yet.

supporting thread on nano-reef http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/186060-eggcrate-causes-snot-algae-unless-you-paint-with/

Just food for thought

Last edited by a moderator:

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Just a bunch of things I had laying around so no wait and it didn't cost me anything.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I'm ready for the 10th. I didn't cut a lot but there's an assortment.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I really like the idea of mag floats for supports. I was thinking about doing something like this except just using them as mounts under my egg crate in my frag tank, kind of a adjustable base. I would need about 12 for the different layers that i have, so decided against it.. Looks awesome for a small rack though.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
It's easy to adjust too. I can slowly move it up to acclimate to the light level I want and not worry about scratching the acrylic.

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
I think Scott has too much time on his hands to find all the cool gadgets!! Lol