Randy's 2 Part

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Anybody who is using Randy's 2 Part where do you get your Mag Chloride and can you get it in the off season? I have the rest so I plan to start soon, but don't know where to get this part.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So I do have a Salifert test for it and I read the directions several times, but I want to make sure. It said that my magnesium was 1350 ppm if I turn the syringe upside down and read to where the plunger is and apply that number to the conversion table. It just seemed counter intuitive that using most of what was in the syringe was a good thing.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Just thought I was crazy. I got so frustrated that my mag was low because I misread the instructions I just stopped testing. Now that I get it it is easy to test.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I never dose mag. I imagine that I could be getting some from the calcium reactor media, but I also do water changes (which is where most people get it). Every time I test it, it is nearly perfect.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I have never needed to dose mag. Water changes seem to take care of it for me. The dow flake stuff scares me. What if they add something you don't want in your tank... brs for your calcium needs. Possibly colorado scientific, not sure how competitive the pricing is. Imo you will need a calcium reactor in the long run. Maybe kalk reactor can help keep up with the needs.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
He tested a bunch of it, but it was years ago... probably 10. The dow flake was as good, or better, than the kent, seachem, etc. that was out back then. The BRS does not advertise their purity, but I would doubt that it is more than 85-90%.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I used Prestone Driveway Heat for probably ten years until I ran out of my stockpile. It was like 88% pure calcium chloride. There is probably only a handful of sources that make the stuff for anybody who repackages it.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Randy's 2 Part

Mixed some Prestone today and I have some reagent grade that I'll use also. Right now I've been using some supplements I won in club raffles just dosing by hand throughout the day.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The Dow flake when you but it says the purity. From my understanding its mined from the source. Preston's is an anydrus form. Son I prefer not to use that. Mural I still have a ton left from my last bag of Dow if you need it. However I wouldn't be suprised if brs and die are mined from the same place. A 50 pound bag last forever.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Driveway heat or Dow Flake, baking soda, Mrs. Wages, Muratic Acid, Epsom Salts, instant ocean and some cheap light timers was about all a guy needed... along with a good understanding what was was going on. It is too bad that most of the new stuff really is not all that much better and the easiness of buying already done appears to have lessened the awareness of what was going on with some... but perhaps I am wrong.