Recommendations...

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well my chromis are making quick work of each other and my population is down to only 2 now. That being said, the tank is looking empty and in need of a a new fish or 2.

I'm somewhat stuck as to what I should add and thought I would get some opinions.

Current stock list:
- 2 small chromis
- Lubbocks Wrasse
- Small Yellow Tang- no tang police plz
- 2 Small snowflake clowns

I was thinking maybe saving up for a pair of flame wrasses or even just a single leopard wrasse. I'm not sure how they'd do with the lubbocks. I really enjoy wrasses so maybe some recommendations here would be good.

I'd love a flame angel but really don't want to risk to nipping my SPS.

Thought a blue spot jawfish but I have some frags on the sand and don't want to deal with the rearrangement.

Anyway, I'm somewhat torn and thought I'd ask!

Thanks!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I'd say start with the clowns, they are hardy enough they can live through quite a bit of the new tank syndrome. adding more chromis is kind of hit or miss and they likely will get killed off like the others were. I started with 9 chromis and 1 by one they picked each other off. Got down to 2 of them and had both for awhile but eventually 1 more succumbed and now I have 1 healthy and happy chromis who likes to swim around with my clowns.
The jawfish are also decent fish and wont do to much to most of the sand other then digging out under some rocks. Haven't had an issue with mine burying any corals or anything. My engineer goby on the other hand frequently is burying corals and I have to dig them out

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think your tank is already pretty well established, right? Good rule of thumb is to add in order of aggressiveness (starting with the least aggressive).
I say go for the jawfish. Once it picks a territory, it shouldn't mess with the frags on the sand. Sounds like you just want to avoid a sand sifting goby as they can easily bury anything on the sand bed.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Recommendations...

Tank is going on 9 months old and seems pretty well established at this point... Still young but stable. I already have a pair of clowns so not sure adding another is a good idea or even possible.

I also don't run a refugium at this time so I assume I'd have to dose with pods with a leopard

Last edited by a moderator:

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd love another wrasse or two, just concerned what will get along with the lubbocks.

I've thought about a Randal's goby also... Great name!

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Outta consider a Helfrichi Firefish Goby, out n about a lot, and a great fish in general.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you want something to school to essentially replace the chromis, you could get 2 F and 1 M anthias. I dont have experience with lubbocks, so I dont know if they would play nice with wrasses.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good ideas, thanks guys! Keep 'em coming. Looking for a resident wrasse expert still haha!!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
what kind of clowns you already have? As long as not one of the aggressive species like maroons you should be okay to add the snowflakes especially if they smaller. The lubbocks should get along with just about everything too, although ya I would add jawfish and/or gobies first. I would wait on the leopard since they can be a bit more difficult then many wrasses. If it was me I would do it in this order
Jawfish
Goby(s)
Clowns
Lubbocks
Leopard
Tang