Reef safe fish for 75 Gallon

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am in need of a guide for the types of fish that would do in a 75 Gallon, and they need to be reef safe. Also is a yellow tang a terrible idea I see them in 75's all the time but most threads i have read say no.

Justin144

Butterfly Fish
Yellow tangs work great in 75 gallons. Theyre the hardiest of tangs IMO and can be in smaller tanks.
As for other fish, stick to blennies, clownfish, chromis, small wrasses and so on.
Any specific fish you have in mind?
Good luck

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Reef safe fish for 75 Gallon

Just looking for ideas my tank is just starting to cycle

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Jawfish is an all time fav of mine the yellow head never had a blue spot

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

And a little school of firefish

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
firefish jump...so do most wrasses....as far as tangs go, id do either a yellow, a kole, or a tomini. any others get too big for a 75. my favorite combo for a 55/75 is a watchman/pistol combo, an algae blenny, a pair of clowns, a kole tang, a 6line wrasse, and a few neon gobi or other small gobi...

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
No tangs are 100% reef safe, but most are pretty good when smaller. Clownfish, Damsels, Anthias, Dartfish, Fairy Wrasses, Genicanthus Angelfish are the only reef safe fish that I know of in a tank that size. Most gobies are OK, but some will eat coral polyps.

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Reef safe fish for 75 Gallon

What about hawkfish are any of them ok ...I had a geometric pygmi hawk in my nano

Ambrosio Aquatics

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
anthias and basslets and a few tangs. Acanthurus pyroferus, Liopropoma swalesi,Assessor flavissimus,Gramma melacara are a few of my fave.

mathewkofalk;238266 said:
What about hawkfish are any of them ok ...I had a geometric pygmi hawk in my nano

Oh ya. The flame and longnose are the most popular and will definitely be ok in a 75. Just know that if you have any very small fish like a neon goby or a small clown goby your hawkfish may try to eat them. That is just what I was advised, not personal experience. I have both a flame and a longnose and they are both really cool and actually get along pretty well in a reef tank smaller than a 75. Hawkfish are super interesting fish and are hardy. Just give them a good amount of rock to perch on and you're good to go. On a side note designer clowns are sweet too.

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ambrosio Aquatics;238269 said:
anthias and basslets and a few tangs. Acanthurus pyroferus, Liopropoma swalesi,Assessor flavissimus,Gramma melacara are a few of my fave.
ok i looked up all these fish and they are awesome