Removing Top Rim on Biocube

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Ive gone lid less on my biocube, I want to go rimless now. How do I remove the thick black pastic rim around the top. Tank is NOT drilled and Im still using the behind tank filtration. Just mentioning this cause im not sure if this affect being able to take the rim off. I know some of you have done this, can you point me in the right direction so I don't screw my tank up

Please and thanks

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Definitely easier with an empty tank but I know you have to use a heat gun to heat up the adhesive holding the rim on and slowly and carefully remove it.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dont you need eurobracing to go rimless on a biocube? I doubt that the seals are designed to have no support on the top. Granted it is much less risk than a large tank.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Yep the one RJ aka Balz3352 is how you do it. Be prepared though as there is a ton of silicone under that rim :)

There is a user around name Brett aka HondaHound he has my old rimless biocube and I believe he is still running it after recently moving. Maybe he will see this and post up some pics.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
That's what Im going for right there!! That's the finishing touch my little tank is missing!!

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Now Im reading that people who have done this have had problems with the tank exploding from the pressure

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
ReefCheif;315444 said:
Now Im reading that people who have done this have had problems with the tank exploding from the pressure
lol are you talking about the 14g thread I posted? If so hopefully you saw that zoalander said he was joking :p

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Nah, I just googled 28gallon rimless biocube, theres quite a few horror stories about people coming home to leaks or full glass break outs. Some have contacted the manufacturer and were told the glass is not intended to hold up to the out pushing force of the water without the thick plastic rim at the top.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReefCheif;315446 said:
Nah, I just googled 28gallon rimless biocube, theres quite a few horror stories about people coming home to leaks or full glass break outs. Some have contacted the manufacturer and were told the glass is not intended to hold up to the out pushing force of the water without the thick plastic rim at the top.
Thats exactly why I mentioned eurobracing. If you dont like the look of the black top, you could get a precision cut piece of eurobracing that sticks into the tank like a 1/2" past the glass. That would give enough support to prevent leaks, cracks, or explosions down the road.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
really? well crud I tried to find some examples to see where there might be repeated failure issues but fell short. Wonder where the failure point is since its a one piece - 3 sided curved glass and you are still leaving approx 4" of silicone and top bracing to connect the front single piece to back glass (rear compartment and chambers shouldn't be messed with in removal process).

Last edited by a moderator:

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The 28 and 29g bio cubes are fairly common to breaking rimmed or rimless. The 14g and 8g bio cubes are fine to do it with.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Do it! Do it! Do it! ....and pics