Research supporting my next LED project

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
If anyone's wondering about fluorescent pigments, more than half of fluorescent emissions are stimulated by wavelengths between 400 and 500nm (violet, indigo, blue), A very small percentage are stimulated by 340-399nm (UV-A), and about a third by 500-583nm (green and yellow) wavelengths. Since I'm not a fan of the visual appearance of aquarium lighting in the green-yellow range, I'll stick with the violet-blue range, supplemented by white.

Here's the source data on fluorescent pigments: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/9/aafeature

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
There are other factors to consider in lighting. What's the best range of intensities? What are the effects on growth and pigmentation? I've found some information on intensity vs. fluorescent pigments, but not much yet on non-fluorescent pigments.

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
So I've been thinking about my research, and I'm thinking that I might get similar or identical results whether I'm using just royal blue, blue, violet, or a group of LEDs spanning the 400-500nm range (if I adjust them so I get the same photosynthetic response), but with one exception--fluorescence is extremely wavelength dependent. If nothing else, I'll see pigments fluoresce like crazy if I use a wider range of wavelengths.

I also have a feeling that I may get more color depth by using different LED wavelengths instead of just one.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Crit21 said:
So I've been thinking about my research, and I'm thinking that I might get similar or identical results whether I'm using just royal blue, blue, violet, or a group of LEDs spanning the 400-500nm range (if I adjust them so I get the same photosynthetic response), but with one exception--fluorescence is extremely wavelength dependent.
Can you explain? I'm taking this as "it doesn't matter whether you have a ton of different spectrum", is it the same as having blues and whites.

Sent from my DROID using Forum Runner

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
It may be just that. I definitely think blues are more important to photosynthesis than warmer whites because they provide more energy that directly stimulates photosynthesis in corals. It's entirely possible that you can do without whites, especially in light of (no pun intended) one study performed in the ocean in which they filtered sunlight with blue, red, and green, and and uncolored filters. The corals under the red filters were clearly growing poorly, while the blue topped the filtered light list. The uncolored filter corals did just slightly better, which makes me wonder whether non-blue wavelengths are somehow contributing, but not enough to make a significatn difference. I'm guessing that the unfiltered light provided a slightly higher amount of photosynthetically usable light, since the filters removed all but a narrow band of light.

If you look at the light penetration slide (Photosynthetic efficiency vs. wavelength penetration), you'll see that the light with the greatest penetration depth is around 460-470nm. That's a pretty good match to the blue LEDs on the market.

I've been talking to Dana Riddle about my assumptions. He thinks that the wavelength of the blue light doesn't really matter as long as the photopigment can absorb it. I tend to agree with that. The carotenoids (see the slide with the title, 4. Are there any additional pigments that aid in the photosynthetic process on the preceding page). As long as the carotenoids can receive the energy from the blue wavelengths, they will pass that energy to the PCP. Some of those same carotenoids also protect the photosynthetic apparatus from temporary or permanent damage. That is, at high blue light intensity, the diadinoxanthin/diatoxanthin cycle shunts energy away. These two carotenoids only provide protection up to about 500nm. It's interesting that there appears to be no protective mechanism above 500 nm (most noticably in the red spectrum, where so much has been observed/reported regarding bleaching and slowed growth).

Regardless, it's my opinion that white light is primarily for aesthetics in aquariums. Face it, we all want to see the natural colors in the tank in addition to the fluorescent pigments. Even so, I plan to see how the corals look and grow under the full 400-500nm spectrum. Everything looks kind of flat under just blue, and I know I'll get more pigment fluorescence under a wider range of violet-blue light.

Anyway, my studies continue. There's a lot of free peer-reviewed info out there yet to be read. Most of it's Greek to me, but there's plenty that's somewhat understandable.

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
Sorry, here's the study comparing acropora growth under red, green, blue and clear filters in the ocean. Figure 5 shows the realtive growth rates. http://jeb.biologists.org/content/212/5/662.full

Note that the acros under the blue filter grew roughly 4 1/2 times as fast as they did under red or green. I believe the growth under the clear filter was due to the fact that it allowed even higher levels of PAR to reach the coral, which makes sense. Higher PAR (below photosaturation points) means more photosynthesis.

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
I don't advocate using all blue light though. Shallow-water corals have higher rates of photosynthesis under full-spectrum light, and deep-water corals have higher rates of photosynthesis under the blue spectrum. See here: http://jeb.biologists.org/content/213/23/4084.full

The problem is that you really don't know whether you have an all-deep water or all-shallow water coral tank, so a compromise is necessary--a combination of blue and white LEDs. Your corals will have a slightly slightly slower rate of growth than matching each coral to its specific lighting needs, but it's the only solution short of limiting your coral selection to all-deep or all-shallow water.

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
So the next step is to identify the wavelengths at which pigments fluoresce, and compare that data to the LED wavelengths available. It shouldn't be an issue, since I plan to cover the entire 400-500nm range, and possibly a little above 500nm. Fluorecence is also dependent on the intensity of the absorbed light.

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
I should make one point. I'm not recommending that anyone go out and build an LED system tht covers the entire 400-500nm range. It's probably not any better for photosynthesis, because the antenna pigments can collect energy from a wide range of wavelengths, although some wavelengths produce a much greater photosynthetic response than others. As you may have experienced, you can get some pretty significant growth from just blue and RB LEDs. I can predict two significant advantages from using a broader waveband of light. First, you'll cause more pigments to fluoresce. Second, you'll get a different aesthetic look with more wavelengths of light, and will have an opportunity to adjust those different colors to get the look that you prefer.