1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

Roatan Honduras?

Discussion in 'SCUBA Discussion' started by rjl45, Jan 15, 2016.

1. rjl45

rjl45 Copepod

Has anyone been to Roatan? Where's the best dive sites? Best place to stay? Any other tips?

I'm planning a trip there, and wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks!

2. Craigar

Craigar Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

We went diving off the northwest coast it was amazing[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. rjl45

rjl45 Copepod

Awesome! Thanks. Any recommendations on hotels? What's the best way to get around the island?

4. MartinsReef

MartinsReef Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

We are going in November, so I am tagging along.

5. that0neguy1126

that0neguy1126 Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

6. Mermaid Gardens

Mermaid Gardens Amphipod M.A.S.C Club Member

Looks like a really great place to scuba.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

7. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

One of the top scuba destinations in the world, its on my short list, so following along

8. rjl45

rjl45 Copepod

Just got back from a great trip to Roatan. It is a beautiful place. The reef is beautiful, but in all honesty, I thought the fish life wasn't that strong. Even though they have created a preserve, it's obvious that it is still heavily fished. Every night I saw fishing boats leave to go fish under the cover of darkness. All my diving was between West Bay and Sandy Bay, mostly around West End.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. rjl45

rjl45 Copepod

10. SkyShark

SkyShark Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D.

Great photos! Were those shore or boat dives?

11. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Beautiful

12. rjl45

rjl45 Copepod

All were boat dives. The one picture on the beach is my wife doing her check out dive, before getting on the boat.

Very easy, relaxing diving. Virtually zero current, great visibility and beautiful coral formations.

13. rjl45

rjl45 Copepod

And thanks! I have fun taking underwater photos.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

14. SkyShark

SkyShark Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D.

Cool! Last question, what's your camera setup like?

15. rjl45

rjl45 Copepod

I use an "old" Nikon D200, Sea & Sea housing, 2 stobes, and a mix of 3 lenses, 12mm-24mm, 60mm macro, and 105mm macro, depending on the dive. Each of those lenses needs a different port for the camera housing. Here's a photo of me a few years back with my camera. [​IMG]

16. rjl45

rjl45 Copepod

I will say, you don't need a "big and expensive" camera to get great underwater photos. It helps to have additional functions, but there are a couple major items that make it possible, everything else is refinement.
    1. Waterproof housing
    2. Need LOTS of light. External strobes really are necessary and arms to get them away from the lens.
    3. Shoot "up", not "down". Capture as much natural light as possible.
    4. If you want color in your photo, need to be CLOSE! General rule of thumb, no further than arms length away (2-3ft).

Follow these simple rules and you can capture some amazing photos too. ;)

17. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Very nice man! Great shots!