Roatan Honduras?

rjl45

Clown Fish
Has anyone been to Roatan? Where's the best dive sites? Best place to stay? Any other tips?

I'm planning a trip there, and wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks!

Mermaid Gardens

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks like a really great place to scuba.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
One of the top scuba destinations in the world, its on my short list, so following along

rjl45

Clown Fish
Just got back from a great trip to Roatan. It is a beautiful place. The reef is beautiful, but in all honesty, I thought the fish life wasn't that strong. Even though they have created a preserve, it's obvious that it is still heavily fished. Every night I saw fishing boats leave to go fish under the cover of darkness. All my diving was between West Bay and Sandy Bay, mostly around West End.

rjl45

Clown Fish
SkyShark;647793 said:
Great photos! Were those shore or boat dives?
All were boat dives. The one picture on the beach is my wife doing her check out dive, before getting on the boat.

Very easy, relaxing diving. Virtually zero current, great visibility and beautiful coral formations.

rjl45

Clown Fish
SkyShark;647809 said:
Cool! Last question, what's your camera setup like?
I use an "old" Nikon D200, Sea & Sea housing, 2 stobes, and a mix of 3 lenses, 12mm-24mm, 60mm macro, and 105mm macro, depending on the dive. Each of those lenses needs a different port for the camera housing. Here's a photo of me a few years back with my camera.

rjl45

Clown Fish
I will say, you don't need a "big and expensive" camera to get great underwater photos. It helps to have additional functions, but there are a couple major items that make it possible, everything else is refinement.
1. Waterproof housing
2. Need LOTS of light. External strobes really are necessary and arms to get them away from the lens.
3. Shoot "up", not "down". Capture as much natural light as possible.
4. If you want color in your photo, need to be CLOSE! General rule of thumb, no further than arms length away (2-3ft).

Follow these simple rules and you can capture some amazing photos too. ;)

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Very nice man! Great shots!