1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

rock and hair algae

Discussion in 'Rock' started by cent36, Apr 8, 2015.

1. cent36

cent36 Amphipod M.A.S.C Club Member

So for the past months I have been getting hair algae. Some of you may remember my posts and plight. It all came down to the old dried up rock I used to start the tank and leaching phosphates. I was told emphatically NOT to bake my rock or I would incur the wrath of the cycle again.

Instead of all that, I removed, scrubbed and replaced all my rock. The algae came back so now my question is....... Can I slowly start replacing all of my rock with live rock from a trusted source like an LFS? Will that recycle me?

2. High Plains Reefer

High Plains Reefer Sardine Platinum Sponsor M.A.S.C Club Member

you shouldnt get much of a cycle if you keep it wet

3. zombie

zombie Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

Only if it is truly live rock. The vast majority of live rock from LFS is dry rock that has cured in a holding tank for many months. Break a piece open. If its white inside, it wont help you one bit.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2015
  4. cent36

The lfs will let you break it open? How do you break rocks without a pickaxe?

5. zombie

Some of the more slender pieces can be broken by hand without tools.

6. deboy69

deboy69 Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

That's not really going to tell you anything especially if they keep adding new rock to it every so often. And I doubt they will let you break open a piece

7. cent36

So then how do you tell TRUE live rock?

8. zombie

The only way Im aware of is to break a piece open. True live rock is brown on the inside.

9. SkyShark

SkyShark Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Find a LFS that you trust and ask.