Rock Renewal

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Houston we have a problem!! So everything went without a hitch using the acid. I added a huge bag of Baking Soda to the acid to make sure it was safe to dump down the driveway. After it sat for a good while and the foaming had ceased, I drained it and rinsed several times. I thought I got most of the sediment out. Uhhh...no. I had the great idea of letting it sit in Prime overnight to make sure it was good to go.

Got to it this afternoon and I have baking soda caked on as hard as the rock itself on almost all of the rock that was on the bottom of the trough. I've tried scrubbing, scraping, etc. IS THIS GOING TO CAUSE PROBLEMS?? I'm thinking the baking soda caked onto the rock might mess with my levels when in the tank. Anyone have any solutions. I even tried soaking one of the bad rocks in straight vinegar to see if it would soften it up a bit...NOPE. I'm at a total loss here. FEEDBACK please!!

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
dv3;115517 said:
yes ..purely a guess but im not sure what else might work
careful though ...that stuff is used to etch concrete so i wouldn't pour it down your driveway ...lol

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
dv3;115518 said:
careful though ...that stuff is used to etch concrete so i wouldn't pour it down your driveway ...lol
LOL...I already gave all my rock a bath in muriatic acid (and poured it down the driveway)!! ;) The baking soda (which is now my issue) was used to neutralize the acid basically making it salt water.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
the yea more muratic acid or a stronger acid ...really if it were me i might just pitch or sell it on CL ...lol maybe there is a chemist here that has a better idea or maybe take it to RC and see if there is a chemist there with and idear

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Boil it

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
lol let me know if it works

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If that dont car wash

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
you should see what I manage to do in the basement

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
steel wire brush, hand tools, elbow grease, you can stick it some salt water and see if it even changes the chemistry.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
car wash pressure washer !

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
wicked demon;115609 said:
steel wire brush, hand tools, elbow grease, you can stick it some salt water and see if it even changes the chemistry.
I was wondering about a steel wire brush. I was worried that strands of the steel wire might get in the rock and later turn up in a bad way? Wouldn't that be a concern or no? I definitely ended up using a flathead and elbow grease on a bunch of rock last night. The remaining rock just won't work for chiseling...I wouldn't have any rock left afterward. I was also reading and found that baking soda is obviously used to buffer alk by tons of people. So maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing. Especially since even boiling the rock didn't really dissolve any of it. Maybe it would leach slow enough (if at all) to not cause a single issue. arggghhh...rookie mistake!

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Curious what your consensus about doing this was.......was this rock in the tank when you were going through the unknown caused hair algae issues?