Rod's Food is Totally Awesome!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I just wanted to publicly thank Rod and his company for their support. I had talked to Rod at MACNA and today he sent me what he called a little care package to support our classroom reef tank. I greatly appreciate your support and generosity!

Last edited by a moderator:

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Rod's Food is awesome. Super cool guy too.
Kris, the Original blend specifically says not to rinse it since there are small food particles for coral that would be washed away. I rinse the pacific plankton (mostly out of habit). Not sure about the other types.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;328865 said:
Rinsing frozen food is a thing?
Sure - I've never tested this, but anecdotally it makes sense to me. Rinsing frozen food like mysis, krill, brine shrimp, or silversides will get rid of some of the "juice" that gets packaged with the food that may contain phosphates or other undesirables. It also thaws the food - maybe my fishes like that? I just put the cube or portion of the cube in a small net, give it a quick rinse in the sink, leave it for a minute and then give it a final quick rinse before adding it to the tank.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SkyShark;328870 said:
Sure - I've never tested this, but anecdotally it makes sense to me. Rinsing frozen food like mysis, krill, brine shrimp, or silversides will get rid of some of the "juice" that gets packaged with the food that may contain phosphates or other undesirables. It also thaws the food - maybe my fishes like that? I just put the cube or portion of the cube in a small net, give it a quick rinse in the sink, leave it for a minute and then give it a final quick rinse before adding it to the tank.
Yep I started doing this with Mysis as many brands DO recommend. I noticed it can and does has an impact on measurable nutrients so I started doing it with all frozen foods I use But I do agree rinsing the Rods does seem to wash away allot of stuff that is probably otherwise beneficial. I have been experimenting with Rods so Ill try it without rinsing.

Thanks for the feedback. Also it is very cool of them to support the students like that.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ThunderTwonk;328872 said:
Yep I started doing this with Mysis as many brands DO recommend. I noticed it can and does has an impact on measurable nutrients so I started doing it with all frozen foods I use But I do agree rinsing the Rods does seem to wash away allot of stuff that is probably otherwise beneficial. I have been experimenting with Rods so Ill try it without rinsing.

Thanks for the feedback. Also it is very cool of them to support the students like that.
SkyShark;328870 said:

Good to know. Thanks for the input.

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;328846 said:
I just wanted to publicly thank Rod and his company for their support. I had talked to Rod at MACNA and today he sent me what he called a little care package to support our classroom reef tank. I greatly appreciate your support and generosity!

Thats awsome. Great PR and karma to boot.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Rod is the man!!! Has always been extremely supportive of our club and now looks like he took it several notches farther!!!

Congrats Mr Mural and kids and kudos to Rod!!!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Awesome sponsors are AWESOME!!!