Running electrical for new tank.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok guys, here's my delima.

Need to get electrical from the wall right above the cut in the lower right corner, to the breaker box in the garage, far left. Has to be hidden and I'd rather not cut I to the wall as making it look good again will take a lot of work.

Other side of the wall is a finished basement. Below is a crawl space that I can use, but I don't want to cut a big hole for my drill. Tried drilling up but ran into the concrete board you put tile on.

Has to be hidden, so you can't see any hint of it once the trim is put back up.

What are your ideas?

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If that trim gives you enough room...float the trim with a slat of wood behind it along the top and bottom. Run the wire down the groove in the middle. Or if you have a router just add a wider slat down the full length and run the router down the middle.

I've done this to hide speaker wire without cutting into drywall...the thicker baseboard is barely noticeable unless you're using stark white baseboards against a dark wall.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
What else is in that wall? I bet there's already wires from when the house was built. Can you look down that wall from the garage? I'm assuming you can take the plywood off the garage wall and drill the 2x4, to get a look behind the sheet rock.

If there are already wires there, I'd fish your new wire through the existing holes.

Floating the trim sounds easier though.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Floating the trim is probably what will happen. No wires in this wall. It's a weird half wall, and the basement wall on the other side is actually another whole wall.

See Khalis, I told you I'd need your help. Lol

Drew

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Exactly what I was going to suggest, routing out the base board. Seems plausible to me :)

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Trim and paint makes a carpenter what he aint'!

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks guys. Gonna do it slightly different, but same basic concept. Might get this done tomorrow so I can keep moving forward with the build.

Drew

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The only problems i see with Running wires in baseboard is they will be the first thing to get wet it's definitely not code lol

JNG

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was thinking the same thing Craig. Have you seen those flexible drill bits that are real long. You could go through your studs with only minimal drywall work. They sell texture spray that works really good on covering your drywall patches. It comes in orange peel and knockdown.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If its concrete behind it they usually leave an inc gap behind the studs and float the wall you may be able to access from the garage it looks like and just run a piece of conduit behind the studs and run your electrical in the conduit

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
How about just using a masonry bit up from the basement to get through the concrete board...continue as you had planned.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good thought on code Craig. I knew that but didn't want to listen to myself. Lol. I'll try to take the stuff off the garage wall tonight to see what's back there. I can try the masonry bit, but that concrete board is really hard stuff.

Drew

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think I have a hammer drill you could use. It would be a piece of cake with one.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If i had my Ridgid cordless it wouldn't be a problem. However, I left that at home so my brother could finish putting screws in my moms new metal roof. All I have to work with is a 12v Hitachi. I'll throw a masonry bit on there and see what it does. I would prefer to go through the crawl space if I can.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
JNG;194922 said:
I was thinking the same thing Craig. Have you seen those flexible drill bits that are real long. You could go through your studs with only minimal drywall work. They sell texture spray that works really good on covering your drywall patches. It comes in orange peel and knockdown.
I have seen those bits. I don't really want to go that route for 2 reasons.

1. Making sure the line is at least partway straight is a challenge.
2. Those bits are expensive. Not sure if they rent those out at the tool rental place.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll take the stuff off the wall in the garage tonight as that has to happen no matter how I run the wires in the main room. I'll post up another pic and let you guys know what I find.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Craigar;194921 said:
The only problems i see with Running wires in baseboard is they will be the first thing to get wet it's definitely not code lol
Ok good point, lol. Home theater installs are definitely a little less involved. ;)

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Have him shoot me a PM. I have corals to trade if he's interested. Or you can send me a PM and I'll give you my number.

Drew