Ryan's 10gal

G

picked up a 10 gal tank and a used AC70 to convert to a mini fuge. spent an hour with the saw and a bunch of silicon and made an overflow.

4" black PVC

Last edited:
G

silicon. pic was just before silicon. didnt like the intake of the AC70 drawing from the mid to low lever, and wanted a surface skimmer. Also, the entire tank water lever wont drop as water evaporates. just whats in the tube.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
i might have to do that ...i'm planning on using a 10g and ac30 for my frag tank

G

thanks! if you want, ive got about 12.5" of the black PVC leftover. yours for a couple bucks.

still deciding on what i want to do for lights. wanting to do LED, but trying figure out if i want to try and tackle a DIY project, or buy something premade. I like those ecoxotic stunners and panoramas but theyre a little pricey. anyone made theyre own LED fixture? thoughts or advice?

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
ryan;60009 said:
thanks! if you want, ive got about 12.5" of the black PVC leftover. yours for a couple bucks.

still deciding on what i want to do for lights. wanting to do LED, but trying figure out if i want to try and tackle a DIY project, or buy something premade. I like those ecoxotic stunners and panoramas but theyre a little pricey. anyone made theyre own LED fixture? thoughts or advice?
might take you up on that but the frag tank isn't at the op of the list right now

i wonder if one of the reef bright strips would be enough over such a small tank? ...they're pretty bright

G

ill check out the reefbrites. Im working with very limited space in a bookshelf, so i think LED strips would be the best. the question is, do i want to spend $150 and make my own lights, or spend $200 and just buy them and plug em in?

G

ive been researching the hell out of DIY leds and think i have a pretty good idea of whats involved. now just need to price this parts out. Still like the size of the ecoxotic stunners, but if theyre not enough, then theyre not enough.

G

progress! added chambers to fuge (ac70), fine tuned water flow, painted back black, supported shelf.

G

the back of the bookshelf will not be open like it is in the pic, otherwise i would not have the fuge on the side of the tank. you can see how tight the lights are going to be.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Holy poop, that's tight. Hope you're doing your homework on optics and light spread. Also how are you supporting the shelf? Is it just a really sturdy bookshelf? H2O roughly weighs 8 lbs per gallon, just to get you thinking.

G

i supported the shelf and the two below it. its lame, but see the black spaces in the middles of the 3 shelfs? theyre 2x 10 pieces of wood painted black. base is supported internally. im going to test to make sure, but im pretty positive it will support the weight no prob.

i am doing loads of HW on LEDs. think i got it boiled down to 12-16 leds. ill get 60 degree optics for them, but might not end up using them. ordering parts today! bye bye money!

G

ha theyre stealth! i offset them to make it not look like a constant support up the middle. as long as they work, thats the important part

I think this will be a pretty kick ace book shelf once you're done! One thing to consider (maybe you already have) is the amount of salt creep you'll end up having. If you were dusting and wiping down every other day I doubt you'd have a problem. When I was running a similar nano with a similar filter I had lots of build up.
Looks good though and I can't wait to see it finished!