?'s for the LED people

Vance

Angel Fish
Blew my T5 ballasts, so maybe looking around at LED's and was wondering would be willing to offer some expertise? Im at a loss haha, tech in this hobby changes way to fast for me to keep up. Looking for something to supplement my hailide that still has good stand alone color, good pop, and wont break the bank. Maybe a strip of some kind to i can just mount it directly into my canopy, no more blown ballasts from dropping fixtures in the tank :shame:, reef got some good electroshock today.

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
How big is your tank? I would recommend a 120watt fixture for every 2 feet of tank for good coral growth. However I just have one on my 75 gallon and things are growing fairly well. Bought my blue/white dimmable fixture for $160 and has a kit to hang it from the ceiling.

What else can I answer? :D

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SkyDiv3r17;277515 said:
How big is your tank? I would recommend a 120watt fixture for every 2 feet of tank for good coral growth. However I just have one on my 75 gallon and things are growing fairly well. Bought my blue/white dimmable fixture for $160 and has a kit to hang it from the ceiling.

What else can I answer? :D
He just want to supplement his metal halides.

I would do reefbright but kind of spendy. you could do a diy for cheap

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I like my Kessil 350w a lot. The 150's can be found pretty cheap.

Vance

Angel Fish
Tank is a 90 cube, so little under 3'x3'x3'. Still have a 250 phoenix halide over it so not dependent on the LED for PAR, just LPS, softies and a few easier SPS. Particular brand? Bulb wattage? Number of bulbs? One or two strips for even coverage?

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Make your own, there are plenty of videos on youtube and ebay has 3w LEDs and drivers for very inexpensive, I just ordered 10 blue 460nm 1w LEDs for $3.56 shipped to my door! I think the 3w LEDs were $14 for 10 of them shipped, very inexpensive.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh and with that style heatsink I can touch it when the lights are on I get virtually no heat.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have 2 panorama pro blue/magenta and a power supply that are collecting dust. Want to try them to see if you like them? I cannot even tell that LEDs are on when I have my Halides on.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 to reefbrites they can mount right on the reflector of your halides.

Ecoxotic strips(panorama/stunner strips) are another cheaper but not as awesome option.

Vance

Angel Fish
And this might be a stupid question but what is the wavelength associated with 6500K or 10000k or 12000k? Is it relative to the manufacturer?

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The problem right now is I have 15 whites and 15 blues, now we all know the whites overpower the blues and that's why I ordered more blues, I will end up with 25 blues and 5 whites when they get here. Right now its about a 10k look and im going for a 20k look. I still get good fair "pop" but I think it will be better once I eliminate some of the whites( the whites are just to overpowering) hence why people usually go 2:1 ratio blue:white. I just got the blues because they don't have the royals in 1w only in 3w.