?'s for the LED people

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Vance;277809 said:
And this might be a stupid question but what is the wavelength associated with 6500K or 10000k or 12000k? Is it relative to the manufacturer?
You will want to look at 10000k for your whites, 6500k will grow algae and macro because of the light spectrum I believe.

Vance

Angel Fish
Hahaha yeah im seeing the bulk order problem as well. Only reason i ask is the royals are +/-450nm and general accepted actinic is 420nm right? I get awesome color with my phoenix but would like a little more of the radioactive green i got accustomed to back in the day with power compact and VHO actinics.

What are you running for a driver? Parallel strands?

Im thinking about a few strands at 700mA but most of the 420nm bulbs are rated for 750mA, suppose underdriving wouldnt be a bad thing and extend the live of the bulb, but with a good heat sink longevity really shouldnt be an issue.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
There is no LED equivalent for the VHO Super Actinics. If you really want this look, then get some of those. 420nm LEDs are not even close.

I might suggest that you go and look at some. They all look different. ...and since you are only looking to supplement for looks, then buying off of a spectrum chart might not get you to where you want to go.

Vance

Angel Fish
Thanks for all the help guys!! Got everything all built and doing it myself was an awesome idea, got att the pop I was looking for plus a little extra par. Went with 2 separate ballasts each with 2 parallel stands of 12 3w less, mixing wavelengths from ~400nm to ~480nm, and the whole thing retrofitted into and old current fixture I had laying around that I stripped out. Greens glow radioactive again with very nice pop from reds and even a little from blues.

Will post a couple pics when I get home, tapatalk won't let me here.

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

Sweet! Would love to see those pics when you get them