Sad day

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Woke up to find both clowns dead :( one being eaten by a crab the other in a pump. My spotted mandarin is completely fine anyone have any ideas to why this could have happened? I have the tank hooked up to a Neptune so heat stays the same their nem is as happy as could be and they ate the night before I always watch to make sure their eating. This is a $160 loss :( really sucks.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
R.i.P. clownies. :(

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
wow, sorry to hear that.

sounds like you had an external parasite, like Ich. you said your clowns had white spots last week, if i recall. mandarins have high resistance to external parasites due to their heavy slime coat production, so that explanation would be consistent. if it is a parasite, he probably has or had the issue but is fighting it off much more easily but would need to be watched close.

you may get better insight with the common questions answered...did you QT, water parameters/temp, etc.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I would say the white spots ended up being ich, it can kill very quickly.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Yeah, but they wouldnt have just died. Ich has 2 stages, its hosted stage (the white spots you see) and its free swimming stage, you dont see these. Its very possible the white spots were parasitic ich spots the broke loose and became free swimming, once re infected it can take time for the spots to show, if this was their second dose of ich (meaning it went away from the fish but was still free swimming in your tank) it would very likely reap havok on thier slime coats and immune systems. This is mearly a guess on my behalf, but seems to make the most sense based on previous posts

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well thanks I'm going to be emptying this tank soon and let it sit for a few months, then it will be my qt tank.

Badgervet

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
You said you fed your anems, did you see any pieces that got spit out? I lost a clown a while back because one my anems ate a shrimp and then spit it out hours later. Caused a spike in something and kill the clown by morning. Sorry for your loss, looked like nice clowns.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Badgervet;209752 said:
You said you fed your anems, did you see any pieces that got spit out? I lost a clown a while back because one my anems ate a shrimp and then spit it out hours later. Caused a spike in something and kill the clown by morning. Sorry for your loss, looked like nice clowns.
Fed the clowns not nem, and they were black ice snowflake clowns $160 down the drain....

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry to hear about the loss. i had the same thing happen a month or so ago with a pair of picassos. They both just died over night but everythign else seems fine. Mine ended up one on the other at the bottom of the tank below where they normally swam around.

LittleCrabby101

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm so sorry Juan but if it makes you feel any better I lost a pair of snowflake clowns to ich, my second pair one jumped and the survivor is now sick with marine velvet. I thought my little clown had sand on it and when I shined a black light on him it was not sand so I acted quickly and pulled him out. I understand your pain on losing a $160 ;( When my first clowns got sick I didn't even notice anything until it was too late and they both died within hours of each other.