Sailfin/Yellow Tang

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
ok, so in my 120g i have a yellow tang thats about 3 inches and i just got a small sailfin thats just about an inch long. i have a blue hippo that is an inch and a half and him and the sailfin do great, but the yellow flares its fins and looks like it might be starting to get closer to being aggressive with its barbs towards the sailfin. will these 2 calm down or, because he doesn't mess with the hippo, just the sailfin. I think its because their both yellow... but he has driven the sailfin to the dark corner behind my rock and he won't come out. What should i do?

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Sailfin/Yellow Tang

Typically, fish with the same genus will show aggression towards each other, like the yellow and sailfin. You have options before you have to get rid of one, don't worry yet.

Nevermind, reread the thread. The yellow has established its territory, you can take him out, rearrange the rockscape, and introduce them both together.

That said, I introduced 3 Zebrasoma tangs in my 250 at the same time (sailfin, scopas, and yellow). The Sailfin badgered the yellow a lot, it looked like the scopas was getting in the middle, then the scopas started fin nipping on the yellow. It got so bad that I was worried for the health of the yellow, so the yellow got traded in. All was good with the world, then I added the butterfly... long story short, the scopas got traded in too

Last edited by a moderator:
IME established yellow tangs can be jerks. Watch and see if it calms down. Especially watch the new sailfin for signs of extreme stress. This will dictate whether or not you need to take action.

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
The yellow tang was there first. But only by about a month. Not too long, but hasn't Been aggressive at all until this one. Now I just added the Sailfin about 2 days ago. It eats, just hides. Should I keep a close eye on it and see if they establish a territory or what?

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sailfin/Yellow Tang

I had a yellow tang and then put a copperband in and the yellow tang acted the same way for about 2-3 day and then was over it and they got along fine after that.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Theyll be fine. My yellow tang flairs up at every other tang in the tank (there are 5 others), I have a sailfin as well, but he has never acted on it or done anything to follow through. Hes all talk and no show!

Ahhshoot

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Sailfin/Yellow Tang

Hmm...this is an interesting topic. I had a yellow tang in my 75 gallon that would harass any new fish I would put in. It got so bad that I ended up taking the yellow tang to Todd's. I think I now have the same problem with my Sailfin tang in my 180 gallon. I recently put a Lamarck's Angelfish in there and my Sailfin harassed it 24/7, to the point that I believe so much stress killed the Angelfish. Not sure how to handle this problem if it continues with every new fish I buy.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had a yellow tang and sailfin, they duked it out constantly. Got rid of both of them. I now have a hippo, scopus and convict. They all get along great. I will not be adding anymore tangs, even with it being a 280g tank.

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well after a thorough looking in the tank for upwards of 2 hours, i cannot find the new tang. I am worried he is stressed and either near death or dead. the yellow tang i have watched to see if he flares up (showing me that the sailfin is nearby) but he swims the tank calm as can be. I will give it until tomorrow mid day, if i do not see the tang i will start removing rocks and seeing if it is hiding, my only worry is that maybe it finally has calmed down with the yellow tang (the sailfin had its fins flared 24/7 since it entered the tank) and i do not want to start removing rocks right as the sailfin has hidden to calm down. If i remove rocks and stress everyone out that probably will be the kick off the ledge for it i fear.