Salt Water Metals Test Group

Ok! keep in mind that I am not really looking at the major constituents like Calcium and Mag even though I have data for them. Looks like the Calcium values are showing 40-50 ppm low so just add that to your value and you should be close. Nobody's Calcium is too high as Kent, seachem and coralife all run between 540 and 560 ppm Ca.

quackenbush

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Bumping my salinity up 10-15% would go a long way to increasing Ca, but I would still be on the low side of things. Good to know.

Any insights from the other metals analysis? There are highs and lows but we all seem to be more or less in the same ballpark.

quackenbush;n648990 said:
Bumping my salinity up 10-15% would go a long way to increasing Ca, but I would still be on the low side of things. Good to know.

Any insights from the other metals analysis? There are highs and lows but we all seem to be more or less in the same ballpark.
I would just get one of those above mentioned salts and raise it through water changes. You replenish your traces that way too

"Any insights from the other metals analysis? There are highs and lows but we all seem to be more or less in the same ballpark"

So I am just beginning to track this stuff. I know that Zn kills fish fast so I watch that pretty close along with copper. Unfortunately, we gain the most information when something goes wrong. When someone tells me their birds nest just went up in smoke and they don't know why, I will look at your metal and other history and try to figure out if it was chemical in nature or not.
The patterns and comparisons I see between everyone's tanks may yield some useful information for the future of reefing.

Ok so now a little background and then I have to act like I'm working for a little while.
Since the metals and salts do not evaporate along with the water in our tanks, We build up stuff in our tanks that we try and mitigate through water changes. The problem arises when we are not starting with clean water from our RO/DI that we use not only for salt water but top-off as well. If we are leaving lets say...a little Cadmium in our water that our filters miss either because they are old or cheap. Over time that Cd will theoretically increase in concentration unless something consumes it. It is the minor build up of cadmium that may torch your beloved animals and that buildup is what I want to monitor. (not just Cd, but that is a nasty one. Not a lot in our water though)

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cool man. Lots of good info. I'll have to spend some time going through that spreadsheet. I don't think I wrote it on the cup, but I use Red Sea salt now (switched from Kent about a year ago).

quackenbush

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wet Paycheck;648991 said:
I would just get one of those above mentioned salts and raise it through water changes. You replenish your traces that way too
I have a 24 gal cube and buy premix water from elite reef. I'm not exactly sure how the salinity got so low (I have ideas) but I'm going to do salt water in my top off water for a little while to gradually raise salinity.

quackenbush

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Btw, thanks for doing this. I think this is super cool. Can you say a little more about the measurement equipment you are using? Years ago I was involved in semiconductor manufacturing (process chemical side) and we used an ICP/MS and another that I forget to measure down to ppt purity. That was 15+ years ago. I can't imagine where things are at today...

Well. It's complicated. As you well know that testing for one thing is way easier than testing for everything. That being said, seawaters are very nasty samples. Different things like calcium dampen the effects of the plasma and skew the major elements.
I ran the seawater straight and got everyone's mag levels at around 600. The calcium killed the signal. That is also why our cal was low. I diluted the samples 1-100 and reran them. That's when I got accurate Mg numbers. However, the Ca levels ended up being high so I just posted the lower values, thinking they were closer to the actual values.
I am working out some of the bugs in the method since I am used to running relatively clean samples and running brines will be a little trickier.