Schooling fish

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So in the wild tangs school together however on our tanks it isn't very common. I happen to have a purple tang which from what I have read can be one of the most aggressive(sohal being the most) so I guess I am wondering why you couldn't do 3-5 white cheeks or powders together. I am just trying to get some ideas of what would be good tangs to mix.

ialtalal

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Schooling fish

I know somebody who kept 5 purple tangs together with no problem. The key with tangs is you add your most aggressive one last

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

ialtalal

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

Or add all of them in the same time depends of your system

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Mine school together too, yellows (2), Lt. Tang, Kole, Clown. The clown tang is the one that surprises me, there know to be complete asses most of the time!

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just get some anthias and be happy, ya fish geek. Guy gets a big boy tank and wants to tell fish what to do. :rofl:

ialtalal

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

CindyL;244519 said:
Just get some anthias and be happy, ya fish geek. Guy gets a big boy tank and wants to tell fish what to do. :rofl:
No waaaay to girly :p

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Schooling fish

Well I was going to do a school of convicts but they are kind of really big wimps. Would fear that the purple would take them all on so was trying to think of another type that would school together. And Cindy I definitely having more than one type of Anthia brahaha

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
My tangs all behaved pretty well if they were kept well fed - as in enough food to be growing. This is not all that reef friendly with 2 sheets of nori a day and a pack of PE Mysis every other week. Mine would kind of stay closeby each other, especially the ones that QT'd together, but they would not school.

I always thought that purples were complete wusses. Sailfin (both kinds) was the nastiest tang that I had.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Schooling fish

Ya according to advanced aquarist purples are known to be very nasty. It is known yellows will try to be boss of the tank(even though they may not succeed) however the purples have definite attitude.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think folks are missing the point. You're wanting multiples of the same kind of tang that will school together, not multiple tangs that will hang out with each other most of the time. Right?

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Usually when I see big tanks I see several yellow's, hippo's. not sure I've seen a tank in person with other multiple tangs of the same species.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
My bad for not being clear. I had 4 purples in the same tank - all were larger and "donations" as known coral eaters. They got along if well fed, but did not school. They were also not aggressive at all. I had 2 powder blues in the same tank that also did not school.

I would be shocked if they school. The best that mind did was somewhat hang out together around feeding times and if/when I put my hand in the tank and they needed some group therapy.