Scuba diving with sharks for my 21st

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I consider myself an adrenaline junky, I went skydiving on my 18th bday, have been bungee jumping, paragliding, 130mph on my sportsbike, etc. Well my favorite animal is the shark and I want to go scuba diving with them at the Denver aquarium.

I have about a month until my birthday (8/8), however I'll be gone for 2 weeks for Army training.

The shark journey is $185 while the scuba cert is a lot more (I think), with A1scuba. I was curious if you guys think I'll be able to get the cert finished in two weeks (starting the 21st of july), and if anyone knows of any deals as to doing them together? A1scuba and the shark scuba diving that is. Trying to stay under $400 hopefully.. Or if I should just plan to scuba with the fish in the Denver Aq, which does not take a scuba certificate.

Thanks in advance!

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Scuba with the sharks!! You won't regret it if it's what you really want to do. As for discounts or package deals... no clue. If you had more time, I'd say look on living social for the scuba cert deals. But it took longer than that to get scheduled for the course, let alone read up on the coursework, take the class, and get the certification dive in.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I regularly see scuba cert courses pop up on the discount deal sites. Timing will be tricky. Best bet is to call up one of the dive places and talk to them about timing. Scuba diving is an incredible experience. Have fun!

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah i definitely want to do it! Just gotta find out if I can. Unfortunately I'll be in a californian baren desert monday morning. So I don't think I'll be able to call them. I hope this works, cause if it does, videos will be posted :D.

FluidDesigners

Platinum Sponsors
Platinum Sponsor
Go to A1, find Shane Taylor, and tell him that Mike Mascenik sent you. I have been diving for years, got certified at A1, and I will never go anywhere else. Shane is the owner's son and you will never meet a greater guy. He started the dive program himself at the aquarium and he can work out all the details for you. He is a great friend of mine and will do what he has to in order to get you all taken care of. I have been great white diving with him and I am going on a trip with him in November to tag manta rays. He truly is a great guy.

SkyDiv3r17;317098 said:
Yeah i definitely want to do it! Just gotta find out if I can. Unfortunately I'll be in a californian baren desert monday morning. So I don't think I'll be able to call them. I hope this works, cause if it does, videos will be posted :D.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
FluidDesigners;317101 said:
Go to A1, find Shane Taylor, and tell him that Mike Mascenik sent you. I have been diving for years, got certified at A1, and I will never go anywhere else. Shane is the owner's son and you will never meet a greater guy. He started the dive program himself at the aquarium and he can work out all the details for you. He is a great friend of mine and will do what he has to in order to get you all taken care of. I have been great white diving with him and I am going on a trip with him in November to tag manta rays. He truly is a great guy.
Plus 1 for A1. My dad, Tom Lemke, also works at the shop and takes people to the aquarium. It's a great family owned place.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not tryin' to hijack. But is there anyone you DON'T know??

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Holy cow that sounds amazing! I'm jealous.
Unfortunately, it seems that with just the course itself, it'll be overflowing my expense cap :(. $146 for PADI, and $180 for the course, and $255 for the diving??, it's all pretty confusing! I'll see If I can hopefully get ahold of A1 tomorrow and get it sorted out. Fingers crossed I can get a good deal.. Otherwise I'll just be in the fish tank at the DA and not the shark tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been SCUBA diving for 49 years and taught SCUBA for about 30 years. A1 is a great shop and I've know and worked with Scott Taylor (owner of A1) for many years. But since you live in Erie I'd suggest Weaver's Dive and Travel in Boulder since it would be MUCH closer. Scott (owner of A1) and Steve (owner of Weaver's) are very good friends and often work together on many things. I taught SCUBA at Weaver's for 23 years, but currently I don't teach. Just tell Steve Weaver (owner) or Jeff Jones (manager) that you know me. Or better yet PM me and I can make arrangements for you. Also PADI dose online classes too. Online classes you can do everything at your own rate, but still must do "pool sessions" and "open waters" with a dive shop which you can pick as to who and when you'd like to do them with. I've had the opportunity to dive many times with sharks in the wild and at public aquariums. I've dived with many different species of sharks in the wild from the smallest to Whale Sharks, even a Great White once and NOTHING beats an encounter with sharks in the wild, IT'S JUST ASSUME!

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Catfish Charlie;317117 said:
I've been SCUBA diving for 49 years and taught SCUBA for about 30 years. A1 is a great shop and I've know and worked with Scott Taylor (owner of A1) for many years. But since you live in Erie I'd suggest Weaver's Dive and Travel in Boulder since it would be MUCH closer. Scott (owner of A1) and Steve (owner of Weaver's) are very good friends and often work together on many things. I taught SCUBA at Weaver's for 23 years, but currently I don't teach. Just tell Steve Weaver (owner) or Jeff Jones (manager) that you know me. Or better yet PM me and I can make arrangements for you. Also PADI dose online classes too. Online classes you can do everything at your own rate, but still must do "pool sessions" and "open waters" with a dive shop which you can pick as to who and when you'd like to do them with. I've had the opportunity to dive many times with sharks in the wild and at public aquariums. I've dived with many different species of sharks in the wild from the smallest to Whale Sharks, even a Great White once and NOTHING beats an encounter with sharks in the wild, IT'S JUST ASSUME!
Pm Incoming!