sea horse tank

im selling my reef and want advise on a sea horse setup. any one ahve any suggestions right now im thinking of going with a 33 long with a 20 long sump and trying to keep the flow slow any advise its one of the 2 things i havent had yet that i want to get and i want to build an entire setup just for them.

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I tried these guys a while ago. My advise is slow current plus many Places for then to hang onto. Good luck!

Andreaehlrs

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would definitely recommend hippocampus reidi's. They are big, have the brightest colors, and produce the biggest amount of fry.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: sea horse tank

From talking with Suzie (local sea horse expert IMO), a dwarf tank seems to be pretty straight forward, you might look into that.

Last edited by a moderator:
drakeious;221615 said:
im selling my reef and want advise on a sea horse setup. any one ahve any suggestions right now im thinking of going with a 33 long with a 20 long sump and trying to keep the flow slow any advise its one of the 2 things i havent had yet that i want to get and i want to build an entire setup just for them.
Sounds like almost a perfect tank for several seahorses! I "cut my teeth" on dwarf seahorses in 1962, so that's what got me started in saltwater. All sea horses are easily kept if the tank is designed around them. They're much like discus in freshwater, as to............you MUST build the tank around them and NOT put them in just any tank! Feeding is the most important since their digestive system is much different than most fish. Seahorses got a "bad rape" years ago due to the fact that most were collected by shrimpers as a "by product". But today ALL the wild seahorse I receive are collected by SCUBA divers or snorkelers so they're not miss handled. Also many species are bred in captivity, but I still find that dwarf seahorses and H. erectus are still the hardest in captivity!

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm gonna follow this one, as my next project is a seahorse tank (possibly). I've heard that they have to be fed multiple times a day. Is that true?
Also, what do you mean, specifically, by 'design the tank around them'? I was thinking about connecting a 29T tank into my main system, which would hold the seahorses, possibly a pipefish or two, and lots of macro algae for them to hang out in, etc.

CindyL;221759 said:
I'm gonna follow this one, as my next project is a seahorse tank (possibly). I've heard that they have to be fed multiple times a day. Is that true?
Also, what do you mean, specifically, by 'design the tank around them'? I was thinking about connecting a 29T tank into my main system, which would hold the seahorses, possibly a pipefish or two, and lots of macro algae for them to hang out in, etc.
Sounds like Cindy you have the right idea. Pipefish are excellent cohabitant with seahorses and most macro algae will do well. But watch out on some species of Chaetomorpha that are real fine! I've had seahorses get caught in it, struggle to get out and die. As to feeding, I've found the best to be twice a day approximately the same time each day. Seahorses seem to be fairly intelligent and learn the times and become very excited at feeding time. Mine will actually start coming up to the surface and same corner I feed at before I feed. Baby seahorses are another story and this is where the Dwarf Seahorse shin! My grandmother bought me for Christmas a "seahorse kit" from the back of a magazine. Even though I was only 8 years old at the time (in 1961), I was very successful in keeping Dwarf Seahorses alive generation after generation in plastic shoe boxes. The babies were easily raised in a "drum shape" fish bowl with a little air flow to keep the water moving with CONSTANT access to newly hatch live brine shrimp. In the "early days" I also used Peppermint Shrimps as a food for my pipefish and seahorses. Since they usually will produce LOTS of baby shrimp several times a year which is GREAT natural food source for seahorses!

As to other inhabitants for seahorses. Most small gobies, blennies, shrimp and inverts like clams and scallops work well. Urchins, crabs and starfish can "catch" seahorses and actually eat them. Also anemones and some corals usually aren't good too.