Seachem Matrix and other media

I recently added Seachem matrix to my nanocube and wow my water is clearer and I have seen a lot of algae die off. (I'll admit I'm not as diligent with water changes as I would like to be)

So I was curious if any of you experienced reefers had any other filtration mechanical or biological that you would recommend ? And have you had any bad experiences with filtration ?

rjl45

Clown Fish
I have Matrix and also run a Purigen bag in my nano cube. From what I have read about Matrix, it is ultra porrus and adds to your biofilter once the bacteria move in, supplementing your live rock. I have an old Current Aquapod 24g, and does not have much space in the back compartments. I have been tempted to modify it and add a sump below, so I can add a more traditional reactor and more importantly a refugium.

Is purigen and gfo the same thing ? My nano cube doesn't have much space in the back but all I've had is sponge filters for the last year.

rjl45

Clown Fish
From Seachem's website: "Purigen® is a premium synthetic adsorbent...a unique macro-porous synthetic polymer that removes soluble and insoluble impurities from water at a rate and capacity that exceeds all others by over 500%. Purigen® controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds. "

From my limited experience (7 months using it), Purigen has been a benefit to my small system (24g). I started using it just after I cycled the rock, and it lasted about 6 months before needing "recharging". Because it is a synthetic polymer, it can be "cleaned" and then reused. For the first 5 months, my water parameters were spot on, crystal clear and had very little nuisance algae.

At the 6 month mark (december), I started to have water quality problems. I pulled the bag out, recharged it and a few days later put it back in. Water quality has improved and my CUC is catching up with the algae. I'm still getting film on the acrylic, but most of the diatoms and other algae on the rock is gone.

I do a 25% water change every 2 weeks. I could probably go longer, but prefer to take preventative action as opposed to reactive. I don't have space for a sump, and all the great gadgets to help keep the system clean (really wish I had a refugium) so I found this to be a great solution. I am toying with the idea of removing my mechanical filters all together and only run the Purigen and Matrix.

The other benefit, they sell it in a 100ml factory sealed filter bag, intended for small systems. Very convenient size for the back compartments of a nano cube.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002A5VK2/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_gUKNwbK890BRE